Saving username and password for "multi-page" login

Description of the issue
Edit: the problem is with several (all?) web pages that ask for your username on one page and your password on the next page.
One web page that I log into has the user enter their username on one page and then enter their password on the next page. Brave won’t save the username for the site. When the prompt for saving the login information appears, it only has the password filled in. In the end, it doesn’t save anything.

Exact URL of the website in question
https://login.id.hp.com/login-ui?flow=https://directory.id.hp.com/directory/v1/authentication/login/AWGh19gjTkfe4BkNCgWKH1qxUBTzAAAAAAAAAAB6AreBm0OvXsZA8v437tsjrxE90lErEIDJR3V-DycLSGfj0eHA8jyN6BHqnCdfjpWmXHvoy4VtMRAlNrG9llIRLGESo0mZC3q4N_HSlkjWRWAxzTdwFbtUAuAvqu5rIW3zYifjbTJI0ZMJThZohRYEdaPiycdy8lhAMxbQAqaxUH9lapdN9PUobRjJGO6H9ATeZt0jOV8_g1AKWlneZA67-cOGVZ57lA4RlG1tbT8dtUWCFe_RU9uqq1U3lZ2dMeACazUzvMgHoYLDQzO_3lqHEbJb9bNUIhz_oS8z8oFknO5FOT1ALqholUGD7jUIhjNyhi6SsOMSU6TbuXIzVqO0FWfsPCRcrNYt9TUdriAGTFulPWlNg0_WgkP6xy4KVNYgfgQC2qsgN1IbPPvVpPs0mgJXhtc2tVMwqIKQkUe4tG96-lrjpDD0l6i6LG6JkQBzkeJ-9UmbgXyuX1i7hYVQ6-Q8a64k-m3zhUPxzwx9wK6WyOYzAOx2NN-hQBhx8nst-TvUWfNzt2-JP2p2LR7LZz0IfBg79pzBmDF15AmrOS8b7G0PU0iUhiwoDsari_vjvueGGd6l6FXomixoqhZQoEIxTpEjqPt3E6NFIy_QhyuhQj6X_CN0Ypcyh3at6ew&locale=en-US

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? [Default states are: Block: Ads/Trackers, 3rd Party Cookies, 3rd Party Fingerprinting Allow: Encrypt Connections enabled (HTTPS), Scripts] (yes/no)
No, ad control is set to only block ads, not trackers. I am not sure if I have encrypt connections enabled (I can’t find that setting). Script blocking is off.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? (yes/no)
Haven’t tried yet. I will come back and edit.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no)
Not that I know of.

Does the site function as expected when using Chrome? (yes/no)
I don’t have chrome installed so I don’t know.

What Brave version/Build are you using when you encounter the issue?(About Brave info)
Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (32-bit)

@carrierPigeon,
Thank you for reaching out and for submitting a well written/detailed report. We really appreciate that!
So this sound to me like a cookie issue. What I would try to do is either:

1. Set Brave’s Shields to Allow All Cookies for that website. Once changed, the site in question should be able to retain information from the previous page (also, a two-page login seems silly, doesn’t it?).
  2. If this doesn’t work, try authenticating in with Shields down entirely to see if the site behaves as intended.

Let me know what you find out.

Thank you. I appreciate the level of response that we get on this forum.

I set the site to allow all cookies. But, the issue persisted.

I think I have the shields lowered as much as possible-- I am allowing all cookies, trackers. But, I am still blocking ads. I remember the shields down button, which is on the Brave Home page. However, I changed my home page so I can change that back if that might help the problem.

I agree that having the login spread over 2 pages is not good, because obviously this makes things tougher for all web browsers that are trying to save username and password information, and users have to click one extra time. All with no real upside.

Edit: I could not find a way to take down the shields any further. Also, to clarify, each time that I come back to the page, I do not have a cookie stored from the last time that I visited the page. This is because I delete all of the cookies on exit. But, you are probably right that if you have the cookie on your computer when you come to the HP community forum page, then you probably don’t have to login.

@carrierPigeon,
Apologies for the late reply.
If you’re clearing data on exit then yes, your login will not be remembered. Given that the login page is split up, I don’t think manually entering in the domains in the cookie control (in content settings) will resolve the issue either (although you can try this anyway; navigate to Settings --> Advanced --> Privacy and Security --> Content Settings --> Cookies and enter the domain in the following format - https://[*.]hp.com/).

I actually just created an HP account myself and I’m now seeing what you’re describing. The split is definitely what is causing the problem. I haven’t tried the above suggestion yet, but hardcoding my UN and pass in the password manager did not resolve the issue.

That said, you may want to try a different password manager. An extension like Dashlane or Lastpass (both free) would likely be able to accomplish this for you.

Sorry I don’t have a reliable solution for this. Let me know what you find out about manually entering the domain.

I changed my settings in the web browser so that the computer will not delete all cookies when I exit the browser.

I am trying to follow your instructions that you wrote in the first paragraph. So, I first need to get an HP cookie on my computer and then edit it. Or, you want me to add https://[*.]hp.com/ as a new cookie?

Sorry for the late reply. Either should work, I would try adding https//[*.]hp.com/ first.

there were 4 HP cookies in my list of cookies. The cookies were not “doing the trick” of saving the login information. So, I deleted them and created the cookie that you recommended. But, that did not solve the problem.
Right now, I have the web browser set to disallow 3rd party cookies, so maybe that’s causing the problem?

I’m not sure there’s a fix for this particular issue at this time. The issue is that the required credentials are entered using forms that (apparently) don’t know about one another. There’s no way to associate the Username field with the password field on the next page (from the pw manager’s perspective).
Have you considered using a password manager like LastPass or Dashlane?

Yes, I am trying to research about those password managers. But, I want to use the password manager just for a few select sites that use the “multi-page” login. I am not sure which of the password managers will do that, but I would like to figure out and then implement that as a solution.

I believe LastPass can help you with that.

I tried Lastpass. But, it wasn’t good. When I go to the HP site that we were talking about, I then have to click Last Pass’s icon in the username field and then click a choice from the dropdown. Next, click the login button. Then I have to do that same on the next page but for the password instead.

I was surprised that this is the procedure because when I entered my login information to Last pass, there was an option that I selected that was something like “auto-login.”

Does it sound like the software is behaving as intended?

Did you use/follow the instructions in the link I provided above? They have a specific setting for this purpose. Steps taken from the above link:

If the site has a multi-page system (e.g. username on the first page, then the password on the second page), try the following:

1. Go to the first page, enter the username, and use the Save All Entered Data feature to capture the username.
  2. Proceed to the next page for the password.
  3. Enter the password, and use the Save All Entered Data feature to capture the password field.
  4. There should now be two entries for this page in the Vault, one for the username, and one for the password.

closed #13

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.