Saved iOS logins do not prompt to populate saved login information on pages where login information has been saved

Description of the issue:
Repost since origianl post closed with no resoltuion. Mobile ios version. Saved logins do not prompt to populate saved login information on pages where login information has been saved in brave’s saved logins on sites with separated user and password pages. Amazon.com is an example. Not recognized by Brave as login pages and do not prompt to use saved logins for user.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Store your password information on Amazon.com . Then log out and return to the login page. No prompt is displayed to populate the account info that was saved. The prompt is only displayed once the ‘account name’ is keyed and submitted. Then on the next password page, Brave will see its a login and prompt for the password. It should have prompted to use the saved ‘account name’ too.
  2. All pages with separated user/password pages do not populate stored user account information in Brave

Expected result:
A prompt to populate login from Brave’s saved logins should be displayed on a login page. Brave doesn’t display any way to use the saved login user name, it has to be typed in. Safari sees that these are login pages and prompts to use saved login info, Brave does not.
Brave Version( check About Brave):
all Brave versions have had this problem
Mobile Device details
iphone 12 ios latest version
Additional Information:

1 Like

replying to keep open

@db98954f8a6e4d6ee1e3,
Apologies that your original post was auto-closed. Let me reach out to the iOS team about this. I do see that we have an open issue on our Github submitted that describes this:

I’ve added your report here to the above Github thread for developers to see and will reply when I have more information for you.

I’ve also edited the title of this thread to be shorter/easier to read.

This is an issue I encountered as well right when I switched password managers and blamed the password manager when it appears to be Brave related.

1 Like

thank you! I was just checking back in on this after awhile and unfortunately I went past the 30 days so had to open another topic. Only happening where user/password pages are separated. Thanks.

@db98954f8a6e4d6ee1e3 @fedup,
So after discussing with the team, there are a few things to note about the autofill behavior:

1. This mostly has to do with limitations iOS places on third party browsers. The observation that this only occurs on sites where user name/pw are separated is relevant. Safari has OS privileges that allow access to 3rd party pw managers here where other browsers aren’t afforded them. Note that, if not already known, for sites where login credentials are not separated, simply tapping the Passwords option that shows up above the keyboard when you enter the text field should bring up your third party pw manager for autofill (assuming permissions are given in (iOS) Settings --> Passwords --> Autofill
  2. That being said, passwords that are saved in Brave specifically should be autofilled for you upon landing on the site.

I believe that since this is an OS limitation that “fixing” this behavior is out of our hands at this time. I hope this clears some things up and I do apologize for the inconvenience regardless.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Rather than creating a new post, I thought I’d reply. Please advise if a new one should be created.

Other 3rd party browsers (google chrome is a perfect example) are able to auto populate usernames and passwords just fine on iOS devices? So I don’t quite understand the notion of it being an os issue.

If memory serves I’ve read somewhere before brave is having issues with storing the passwords inside the app/database?
Where is the data going when the pop up to save log in information is used to save the log in?
Off the back of this also, sync between desktop browsers and the iOS one doesn’t seem to functionally work, any password saved on iOS doesn’t get synced to the desktop browser. And either desktop saved logins aren’t synced to iOS, or it’s the same inability to auto fill the log in info causing the issue in reverse.

Tbh this log in issue is nearly frustrating enough for me to consider switching back ti google chrome.

1 Like

Amazon login seems to have gotten worse as of latest update. Neither the email or password fields display any prompt to auto fill information even though the info is stored in both apple keychain and brave, and every time I log in now it asks me to save the same login information in Brave, after I have already saved it multiple times but it never prompts to auto fill. If broken at OS level please contact the Apple team and inform them of the issue. Saving login information in Brave has been broken since the beginning, and now its worse.

1 Like

I have the same issue every time I go to login somewhere. It is the same regardless of whether the ID and password are separated. Most of the sites in question display them on the same screen. Works fine on my laptop, but never on my phone.

Forget auto-filling— is it normal for the Brave app to not show the “[key icon] Passwords” link from iOS itself?

Login.yahoo.com does not give you the option by default on the top line of the (stock) input box

1 Like

iPados (ios), latest version. Brave Version 1.43 (22.9.9.14).

I attempted to replicate the problem the OP described, using Amazon.com as he did. As he describes, the amazon sign-in process is divided into 2 webpages - the first page for “user ID” and, after that is entered, a second webpage asks for the password. For both pages, the “keychain” icon appeared on top of the minimized keyboard and I used that to enter both user ID and password. Once entered, the amazon home page opened and a Brave pop up appeared asking me if I want to save the login information. I saved it. I confirmed that it was saved : settings > Logins and passwords > both user ID and password were saved. I then logged out of amazon, closed the brave app, reopened the brave app, confirmed amazon user ID and password still saved, went to amazon.com login page, user ID field populated automatically, password populated automatically and was logged in.

So, not sure what the issue could be with others. There are a few Brave settings that will, through trial and error, disrupt this process: 1) if settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Private Browsing Only is toggled “on”, Brave will not ask if you want to save the user ID and password when you visit the site for the first time on Brave. Even if you succeeded in saving the login data to Logins & Passwords on the first visit (Private Browsing Only had to have been toggled “off”), if you later switch to Private Browsing Only, the Logins & Passwords will not populate those fields even if that data has been saved. Basically, whenever “Private Browsing Only” is toggled “on”, you will not be able to save login data nor access any saved login data 2) settings > Logins & Passwords > make sure that “Save Logins” is toggled “on”. 3) settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Clear Private Data > make sure “Saved Logins” is toggled “off”. If left “on”, when you close Brave, the saved logins will/should be cleared when you reopen Brave. Although…#3 may be another clitch as even if I have settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Saved Logins toggled “on” and have several saved logins, when I close Brave and then reopen it, the Logins & Passwords still show the saved User ID’s & Passwords. They should have been cleared.
It would be appreciated if someone could confirm that Logins & Passwords are not cleared when the “Saved Logins” is toggled to on.
Hope this helps.

Yea, it’s fixed. - I have a 9th Gen iPad, IOS 16.1

1. if settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Private Browsing Only is toggled “on”, I have Off

2. settings > Logins & Passwords > make sure that “Save Logins” is toggled “on” - Yes

3. settings > Brave Shields & Privacy > Clear Private Data > make sure “Saved Logins” is toggled “off” - changed to Off

The only settings I changed to successfully keep logged into Amazon,com without having to put in user ID and password was #3, When I turned Saved Logins to off, Closed Brave and reopened. I no longer had to re-login to Amazon.com. This was helpful.

Now I got to go find why I don’t have the Brave keychain icon, having to use the iCloud password choice, Love Brave, completely switched on both IOS and Mac, Safari no longer being used. Thanks for your research…

This seems to be the same or very similar issue I am having on both my iphone and ipad running 16.6.1 and Brave version 1.57

A UserID and Password that I have in Brave on my laptop does not appear when I go to the same website on either the ipad or iphone. I can confirm that the ID and password are syncing across devices as I can see them when I go to Settings / Logins & Passwords on both ipad and iphone.

Why do I not have easy access to the the ID and password from the actual login page? Is this expected behavior? If so, why? I should not have to navigate to setting, Logins/passwords every time I need to use a saved password. In the desktop version of Brave, I can easily access my saved passwords right on the page where they were originally saved. I want to be able to do this on my iphone and ipad too.

It is easier to save my passwords in icloud than in Brave which is very disappointing.

I’d love to know how to make this work as I’d like or if this is the expected behavior, but in a request to enable access to passwords from the same page there were saved from. Perhaps require authentication via FaceID or something to help with security.

Thanks in advance!

@person542234 , this is because of how iOS kind of controls things. So what happens is if you go to Brave’s settings and check for passwords, it will all be there. However, iOS won’t permit autofill to occur from within Brave. If you go to your iPhone SettingsPasswordsPassword Options you’ll notice where it has a section that says Allow Filling From. Brave isn’t listed there for some reason.

It’s because of this that Brave can’t do autofill. It’s something I’ve brought up to devs and I think they said it’s being looked into. Unfortunately, Apple can be a pain on getting things done sometimes.

Thank you, super helpful. I cannot help but wonder why this is since the functionality works on Firefox. Firefox is also listed in iPhone SettingsPasswordsPassword Options unlike Brave. Feels like something that could be fixed but I’ll leave that to the experts. :wink:

Thanks again…but I’d LOVE to see this issue ‘fixed’