Same on Firefox and Brave Browser?

Hey, this might sound an odd question. But I’m a big fan of Brave Search. I hate Google, and have been using DuckDuckGo until recently, but Brave Search is so much better that I’ve switched over to it. Now, I know I can set Brave as my search engine in Firefox. But I’m not sure if it’s the same as if I use Brave Browser. If I use the browser, I can pay $2.99 a month to get an ad-free version. I want to support them financially to develop a genuine, private alternative to Google. But when I search on Firefox I don’t seem to get ads anyway, and there simply isn’t an option to subscribe? Is it genuinely the same exact experience between the two? Sorry I know this sounds really dumb. I don’t dislike Brave Browser at all, but I also have concerns about Chromium as an underlying base becoming the sole browser engine for everyone in the world, that’s all. So is it the same between Firefox and Brave Browser?

@swarming Brave Search currently has no ads. Search ads will be coming in the future, hopefully not too far from now. At this point the subscription has been for people who just wanted to pay to support Brave, as there would be no other benefit to it.

As it says on the site to sign up:

signing up early for Brave Search Premium will help us test the payment system ahead of this broader release.

1 Like

thank you mate, appreciate the quick response. I assume Brave are going to let non-Brave Browser users to subscribe and get rid of ads if they want, when those get added? I’m very very happy to financially support the search engine! I just wish the browser wasn’t build on Chromium haha

They tried to build it on gecko firefox but abandoned the idea, due to issues like DRM and some other stuff.

First attempt at a desktop browser

The first code commit for our desktop browser was on May 10, 2015.

The code was based on Graphene, a multi-process/sandboxed web app framework built on the Gecko rendering engine, which was basically Firefox OS for Desktop. A new browser was also using Graphene at Mozilla at the time, named Firefox.html.

Firefox.html by Paul Rouget looked at the time to be the future of Firefox, with HTML to replace the user interface markup language that is still in use today, XUL. The Firefox.html project was announced Dec 6, 2014, and had a name change to browser.html, but never actually launched.

We built the UI for Brave from scratch using React and Redux: the original thinking was that we wanted more speed iterating on UI innovations. The Brave prototype found ad slots dynamically, and since we had no ad inventory at the time, comically we used a service which provided pictures of bearded men.

As you can see, the design of the browser was pre-Brad. It was done by developers that sorely needed design help.

637 code commits later, we stopped short and never released this first browser; the last commit was December 12, 2015. We realized we were still months away from building out basic platform support for things like menus, drop down lists, and other problems that Graphene had.

At this point, the company was still in stealth mode and the pressure was on for us to release something soon.

I’m not saying their motivations were cynical or lazy or anything like that. I’m just saying that fundamentally there’s no justification they could provide that would convince me to use a Chromium-based browser

Where’s my millions of dollars?
I trusted you :rofl: