Safe search resetting

Description of the issue:
Brace search safety settings keeps resetting. I have safe search turned off yet it keeps going back to moderate. Conditions of switch seems uncertain as sometimes it’s switching after closing and opening browser and another time it’s just opening new card sometimes it will work for few days without issue but it will switch safe search to moderate at some random point. It isn’t biggest issue but it is quite annoying especially when I need to find reference art quick because I want to check one small detail or technique used and get safe images then going to switch filter to off and waste more time to find it. I started downloading ref arts because of that but we talk about over 20-30 ref arts at a time sometimes. there are way too many great artists and I cannot stop myself from getting their work as ref arts for my projects cuz if you gonna learn then take from as many sources as you can so you can expand your own art
How can this issue be reproduced?

1.i don’t know it seems random

Expected result:
Fixing resets? Or introducing some way of permanent block/switch off

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.51.121, Chromium 113.0.5672.163

Mobile Device details
Samsung Galaxy A70 SMSM-A705FN/DS

Additional Information:

1 Like

@Saierive could you be doing anything that might be clearing cookies or site settings? Or perhaps if your Shields settings to block cookies, which would result in what you’re seeing.

1 Like

I’m not doing anything and option to clear/block cookies are turned off. That was first thing I checked when trying to find why this issue persists. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother people on forum trying to find solution I was beta tester for many games and services as well as I was helping as support for some time so common troubleshooting checks are must before I even think about reaching to support/forum’s. It’s just too frustrating for me to get canned response if I know exactly what the issue is and how long it would take to fix it. It’s sadly common practice in games support to throw canned responses and call it a day. Sorry I started rambling a bit when I recalled all unpleasant support experiences

1 Like

@Saierive Just keep in mind nobody knows anything about you, your knowledge, or anything else. So people have to start off with asking questions to get a better understanding. Obviously the first place to start with anyone is the “common sense” aspects. You’d be amazed how many times those “common sense” items weren’t recognized by people. I’ve even had some who boasted about how they’ve been in tech a long time and were offended by simple questions, but in the end we discovered they were using Avast Cleaner which was getting rid of their cookies.

So no, it’s never “canned” to be blowing anyone off. And it’s not like I just copy/paste generic responses. I read and then have to start somewhere. In the interim, I usually go to test. For example, I’m planning on testing to see if issue replicates for me on Desktop, iOS and, my old Android here in the next few days. (I don’t feel like testing now and not promising a timeline).

Btw, I have an old Samsung Galaxy S9. I know there was an option within it to clean out information to free up space. It also would put apps to sleep automatically and all. Sometimes people use things like that and don’t think anything of it. One the reasons I started in asking if you can think if you might be doing something to clear cookies or block cookies is based on how you discussed it being things like closing and opening the browser. When you mention new card, I don’t know if you meant new tab?

Sorry for long answer, but just figured I’d try to respond to everything you were saying.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to sound as I was suspecting/accusing you of giving me canned response. Got a bit rambly on support in my experience (as I previously said I have some strange luck to be picked for beta testing mostly games, way more time spend on beta servers of WoW and other MMOs) so I don’t have great experience with support in those areas. I would be scared as hell if someone knew I was beta etc (i would immediately start looking for tinfoil hat :smiley: ) I wrote this to speed up process and all(I’m not really great with words so I hope you roughly understand what I mean). I’m not surprised about fixing issues with common troubleshooting cause usually okham razor is sufficient. Again sorry if I sounded rude or anything that wasn’t my intention
Edit: my phone is rooted (because Samsung bloatware is annoying AF and I can use phone more efficiently with my own sys build) brave as any other app that I’m using almost constantly is protected in every way from automated processes that could mess up anything (sadly some of Samsung BS had to stay at least for now cause can’t risk bricking phone for now)
Edit 2: just now I noticed another interesting thing. Whenever I’m trying to use show destkop version Brave does “double refresh” for lack of better term. It will show destkop view for split second then refresh back to mobile version. Kinda like it was overriding itself. And yes I mean new tab (for whatever reason on mobile I’m always using term card due to overwiev look it remind me of solitaire XD )

1 Like

@Saierive Sorry been MIA here for a few days. I have been routinely testing and even checked across versions of Brave. No matter what I’m doing, issue isn’t replicating. I tried on couple versions of Release and Nightly.

I tried different toggles for fingerprinting, adblock, etc. The only thing that broke it and reset it to Moderate was when I set Shields to Block All cookies. But you said you’ve checked your Shields settings and elsewhere, with nothing that would be blocking or clearing cookies, right?

1 Like

That is correct. I checked it few times and unless it’s Shadow Switched everything is alright. By Shadow Switched I mean that it’s switched visually but for whatever reason it didn’t really switch
At least today night it weren’t switching that often and I could work relatively stress free. Honestly I don’t have idea why it keeps happening, I double checked everything that interacts with brave in any way and nothing none of components that were removed from my phone (rooted) interacted with browser (beside they were gone long before issue started), no apps neither root or system that shouldn’t interact with brave are doing so, I even checked if something didn’t get messed in system itself because root and all. Yet I got nothing. But i noticed new annoyance instead
When I’m trying to use Show destkop view for the page brave will start refresh to display new view then before it even finish refresh again going back to mobile view. Sometimes it gets into loop like that or straight up freezes my screen for 30 up to 5 minutes. And only option to fix this is restarting phone. Brave is the only app on my phone that’s making any problems and with this freezing issue I’m starting to get worried for my phone cuz if brave one day freeze my phone permanently there will be bit of a problem

1 Like

I’m tagging @Mattches and @steeven just to see if they’ll be able to better guide you.

1 Like

@Saierive,
I cannot reproduce this particular issue and I don’t see anything logged for this. Unfortunately if we don’t have any steps to reproduce the issue there is not a ton that can be done.

That said I will forward the issue to the Android team to see if any of us can manage to produce the issue. I will also leave this thread open in case you’re able to provide some additional information or steps to reproduce the issue.

Can you also confirm that you’re not seeing similar behavior on other sites? This issue is specific to the Safe Search setting on search.brave.com?

1 Like

Yep only Brave keeps resetting. I’ll check again at home to make sure this isn’t root problem , but tbh I’m drawing blank already. It’s such random problem that I’m starting to suspect some goblins or Dark Elves (as one druid said if you don’t know who to blame, blame dark elves)

1 Like

Smart druid.

Out of curiosity, can you try downloading and testing this same behavior in the Beta version of the browser?

1 Like

Nice you got reference (man I wish this story would continue [there are some hints at the end that could lead to it] I want more of shenanigans. Tho if you know anything please tell non English country so all news are old when they appear here)
Sure I can try beta version and see if I’ll manage to replicate issue
I was sitting whole night glued to pc and checking if problem could be related to root access and my software being bit customized but there weren’t any hits so it’s either dark elves or some quantum entanglement that’s producing issue cause I’m out of other possible reasons :smiley:

1 Like

@Saierive,
There is a chance that it could be the rooting/customization of your device but I think it’s a pretty specific issue to be caused by that. Please let me know if you get different results using the Beta.

1 Like

So I downloaded beta and issue didn’t occur (or I got lucky cause I was fiddling with it only for hour or two) sadly on release version it’s still persist. And I still can’t figure how the hell it’s happening as all settings that could lead to it are disabled. I tell ya it’s those dark elves if they aren’t responsible for this they are guilty something else

1 Like

But it’s happening on Nightly? That’s what is weird to me.

1 Like

As I said I was playing with beta for hour or two at max. I don’t have slightest idea how this issue came to life in first place as it really seems like some kind of Voodoo at this point. I can’t offer my phone for vivisection because it’s my only one. Tho if it wouldn’t interfere with tethering (currently don’t have router till they fix it) we could try to do some kind of remote help ( I forgot how it was called so bit around term)

1 Like

You could try clearing data for serach.brave.com on your stable build to see if that does the trick — this is a hard issue to resolve given the limited information and inconsistency of the issue.

1. Open Brave stable on your Android
  2. Go to Settings --> site Settings --> All sites --> https://search.brave.com
  3. Then tap Clear data & reset

See if the issue persists after that.

1 Like

I tried it immediately after noticing issue. Didn’t do much. Then I tried reinstall but results were the same

1 Like

I ended up just changing phone to new one. Previous one didn’t survive fall on concrete bricks :confused: so topic for closure I guess as on new one issue doesn’t seem to appear

1 Like