Running in backgrouns

i get following errors/warnings when following the ubuntu script (v16+) on brave’s site:

The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8580BDC82D3DC6C

: GPG error: https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8580BDC82D3DC6C
E: The repository ‘https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

the net is that the install file does not get made available.

a few things occur to me:

1. i hope this is worth the trouble

2. more importantly, for a product that promotes itself based on privacy and security, I have to admit I find these particular errors and warnings attention getting.

I am sorry to continue to make you my victim, given your kindness in responding, and am actually replying to you, also in case someone from the company sees this and can appreciate how it looks from out here.

I remain willing to give this a bit more time, but not much more…as it is disconcerting.

nevertheless, I continue to appreciate your courtesy

you very welcome @OM1
and when you first install the app you need to accept the pgp key which used to verify integration and security of the instaltion files

it more advanced way than the sha256 and those things

let me ask someone from the team @fmarier as i forget how to fix this one

and have a nice day both of you :slight_smile:

thank you.

if this key issue is not new…as of course, I never got to the install part, really…one wonders why it has not been fixed, as when I look at the exec team on the brave site, there are many individuals in the company now and there has been 7 figures of financing. one would hope there are some front line troops to address fairly simple coding matters such as this one.

anyway, I will stand by.

have a great evening.

you welcome @OM1

i never had this key issue and many does not have that not cause you have it does not mean it general issue

there many factor could affect it maybe curruption in your PGP key files or any releated package

no single service or app are 100 secure or free of bugs or issue

and there are many support team here but it was weekend so it take time to response to everyone

Just to double-check, you followed the instructions at https://brave.com/linux/#debian-9-ubuntu-1604-and-mint-18 and went through the five steps/commands?

If you open https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg in a web browser, does it download a file that’s 2832 bytes long?

2 Likes

yes i followed the instructions to the letter.

yes, it wants to download a file that ubunutu says is 2.8KB long

Ok, let’s try to see if we can figure where things went wrong on your machine.

Can you tell me the output of each of these commands:

1. ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
  2. apt-key list
  3. md5sum /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg
  4. md5sum /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

fmarier,

I am getting error message from the forum when i put your four commands in this note with the corresponding results underneath them to try to make this easy to read. it says something to the effect that new posters cannot put more than 4 links in a post.

so you have an email address?

tnx

I think you might be able to work-around this forum restriction by putting three backticks (```)on a line by themselves before and after your output. That way the URLs in the output will not be turned into links. It would look like this:

```
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
brave-browser-beta.list     fmarier-ubuntu-ppa.list      llvm.list
brave-browser-dev.list      google-chrome-beta.list      maxmind-ubuntu-ppa-bionic.list
brave-browser-nightly.list  google-chrome.list           nodesource.list
brave-browser-release.list  google-chrome-unstable.list  yubico-ubuntu-stable-bionic.list
```

If that doesn’t work, send me the output by email at [email protected].

1 Like

(@OM1 I’ll reply here in case others run into this problem too.)

Here’s the problem:

md5sum: /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg: No such file or directory

The Brave signing key is not present on your machine and so that explains why the package repository cannot be verified.

If you run the second command of the installation instructions, it should fix this:

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

Once you’ve done that, you can check that it succeeded by re-running:

md5sum /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

It should give you the following output:

48f3db92ecc3bb4443929245693e900b  /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg
1 Like

ok. that was my guess, too.

i am always in learning mode, as I am in a sensitive business, and always want to understand my tools before they do what they want and my not being able to know why.

so my question to you, pending my trying what you suggest, and provided that I used the script from your site, literally, is “why” this file is not there.

is it that some machines do not respond the same way with the same script (I used “terminal” in an otherwise perfect install of ubuntu) or is there something else that I failed to do, myself?

ps i ran the additional command from your email and got the output you said I needed.

later tonight or tomorrow, then, I will run the entire install script again, taking it from your site instructions, and hopefully that will do it. I will let you know if there are any other issues, but thanks.

That’s a good question and one that can’t be answered without seeing a copy of all of the messages that were in your terminal when you went through these steps the first time :slight_smile:

ok…well, since that is unknowable at this point, it is what it is.

the program is installed and running, I have used “advance” settings to get there I want to be, and I will continue to use it…with a view toward making it my default browser.

i certainly like it so far.

thanks for your help.

Great, I’m glad to know you’ve got it working!

u r responsible for that.

it is time to ask the company for more stock options or a fat raise

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.