Restore session destroyed Brave

Description of the issue:
So I made the mistake yesterday of changing my settings so I could restore and continue my browser session next time I restart Brave. That was the idea at least. In practice, upon launching Brave, I was faced with all tabs crashed. A slight nuisance, but no biggie – I thought – until I realized that every single tab and page I open now instantly crashes too.

Every page I open with Brave, displays as follows:

And I do not just mean online tabs, but local ones too: settings, cookies, downloads, history, GIFs, HTML files, etc.

This renders Brave currently completely unusable for me. Please help.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Have bad luck
  2. Set Brave to restore previous browser session
  3. Close Brave with multiple tabs open
  4. Let your PC enter sleep mode for several hours
  5. Restart Brave

Expected result:
Tabs (especially local ones) should not crash

Brave Version( check About Brave):
I can’t find out, since the about page crashes too
Windows 8.1 64-bit though.

Additional information:
This happens in private and Tor mode too.

1 Like

A fresh install seems to have fixed this issue for now. But I am not looking forward to going through the entire process of manually restoring all my preferred settings frequently. So any elucidation as to the root of the problem or a solution are still very welcome, in case it comes back.

1 Like

@Go-go_duck,
Thanks for reporting the issue. I’m curious if you had any extensions installed at the time?

While I do apologize for the inconvenience, I can say with confidence that this was likely a “strange occurrence”, since I have Brave set to continue the session where I left off on all my devices and have never encountered this.

1 Like

I had the following extensions installed:

• DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (not allowed in private windows, and no access to URLs)
  • uBlock Origin (allowed in private windows, but no access to URLs)
  • uBlock Origin Extra (allowed in private windows)

Good to hear it was probably a one off occurrence, rather than the result of some new update/patch :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Go-go_duck,
Tbh it may have been the DDG extension – I believe we’ve had a couple of issues with it in the past but I don’t think this was the way the issue was presented previously.

1 Like

Yes, I was one of the people who reported other issues with the DDG extension in the past too :wink: (hence I no longer allow DDG in private windows, since that causes Brave to crash), but I hadn’t run into this before.
If this error shows up again, I’ll try deactivating that extension first, to see if that solves the issue.
Thanks for the advice, and as always thanks for the best browser!

1 Like

@Go-go_duck,
Thank YOU for reaching out and your support :slight_smile:

2 Likes