Removing "Top News" Brave widget suggestion on iOS

Description of the issue:

I recently purchased an iPhone and I’ve downloaded the Brave Browser app from the App Store, however I am unable to get rid of the “Top News” widget (and other Brave Browser widgets) from my widget suggestions despite having Brave News disabled within the Brave Browser app settings.

I find this problematic as I do not want unsolicited web content being displayed on my device as a security precaution.

If it’s not possible to remove these widget suggestions then I would like to confirm with the Brave team as to the integrity/safety of the web content that the widgets serve, specifically the content of the “Top News” widget.

The headlines that have been displayed so far appear to be from mainstream news sources however this is no guarantee that they are safe from a cyber security standpoint.

I understand that iOS sandboxes apps however I don’t know if this behaviour extends to widgets too.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. From the Home screen, swipe right until you reach the screen where widgets are located (if no widgets are present then this page can also be identified by the “Edit” button that permanently resides on it).

Click the edit button and the + button that appears in the top right corner. You will now be presented with various widget suggestions from different apps including Brave (if you have it installed). The first Brave Browser widget suggestion should be for the “Top News” component of Brave Browser and it should display a highlight to a news article from a news media source (you need to be connected to the internet for this web content to be displayed).

1. Alternatively you can press and hold on a blank space on the Home page and proceed to click the + button that appears in the top right corner in order to reach the widget suggestions area.

Expected result:

Once the edit button has been clicked you should be presented with various widgets including a widget for the Top News component of Brave browser

Brave Version( check About Brave):

1.60 (23.11.27.16)

Mobile Device details

iPhone SE (Third Gen)
iOS 17.2

Additional Information:

N/A

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.