Region not supported error GEMINI

@Saoiray

With a little bit of editing - a note to all who will back up their data:

Users facing a situation in which they have no custodial option and need to back up their current vBAT can manually copy-paste/back up their Brave-Browser folder (at least on desktop), which will contain their vBAT at the time of manual backup.

Linux OS:

• $HOME/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Mac OS:

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Windows OS:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\

2 Likes

Even i contacted Gemini and they said there is no issue from their end.

Thank you for your detailed answer, @Saoiray , very clear. Now I understand YOUR point of view and it is easier to accept the waiting. I’m not sure about how that kind of “backup” works in “real life”, but it’s a way out and I’ll check it asap.
Regards.

1 Like

Same here, just got logged out and can’t re-link my account because supposedly my region is not supported (Romania). Worked fine until now.

So if we backup this folder Every month and in future if there is any kind of system failure or software related failures can we recover our balance ? will Brave consider it ?

@immortal24

May help . . .

RESTORATION NOTE: Read what “bat-chriscat” says at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/smh28a/brave_backup/

“Thanks for all the good questions. In short, this is where backup & restore stands:”

1. The official way to “back up and restore” is basically to verify your Rewards wallet with Uphold/Gemini. When you do so, the BAT that’s stored in your browser (as local files) is transferred to your Uphold/Gemini account. So, as long as you log into your Uphold/Gemini account on your new browser installation, you should see your BAT balance again, since verified users just use the BAT from their Uphold/Gemini accounts.
  1. If you are unverified, your BAT is basically local data on your device. If you reformat your computer, for example, you will lose your BAT. However, you can back it up by copy-pasting the /brave-browser folder, which contains basically all your Brave browser profile data, including unverified BAT.
  1. Regarding “Users manually backup (copy/paste) and restore their user profiles to new computers (restoration fails as we could not decrypt the wallet as each instance of the wallet has its own decryption key)”, we made some changes recently that makes copy-pasting like this much more reliable, so users can do it if they are tech savvy, and if they are otherwise out of options. (In other words, that line is slightly out of date, will probably be updated, but is still somewhat relevant given not all users have updated.) However, it is extremely important that users do this properly: first by making sure their browser is updated to the latest version of Brave (brave://help), and then completely replacing the /brave-browser folder on a new installation. Failing to perform those steps can lead to all kinds of unexpected behavior. Still, this is not the officially supported path, so there are no guarantees.
  1. A new Backup & Restore feature for unverified BAT is actively in development right now. It’s quite a big lift, but progress has been substantial: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/18101

And, re what @Saoiray reported from a recent Brave call:

In the meantime, users facing a situation in which they have no custodial option and need to back up their current vBAT can manually copy-paste/back up their /brave-browser folder (at least on desktop), which will contain their vBAT at the time of manual backup.

Yes , I am also facing ( region not supporting ) error.
for resolution we should mail to (support@gemini.com) official id .

did u got reconnected?

what was the reply ? Did they provide any solution ?

No solution provided by Gemini they simply say contact Brave for this .

1 Like

Got the same issue in Argentina. It worked fine last month…
what we can do?

then how can we get Rewards If Our Region not supported

I uninstalled Brave from all my devices.
Without reward feature I don’t see any advantage of using Brave browser.

1 Like

@Sanjay39 you are totally wrong. Brave is the Best browser for safe and secure online browsing. No other browser is as good as brave. You can make other browsers like brave by installing extensions but that’s totally different.

1 Like

Seeing that Philippines was taken out from the list of supported countries, I guess it is time to put brave on the shelf until they resolve this… I use brave and read their ads so I can get me some BAT which I can transfer to my own wallet. Now that I’m unable to transfer those BAT to my wallet since Uphold and Gemini removed my country from the supported regions then there really is no reason to use brave anymore… brave got it’s ups and down and it was a roller-coaster ride the whole time but sadly the ride has stopped for me. Goodbye and thanks for the few BATs that came my way :frowning:

1 Like

parece que habrá que esperar, ojala se solucione pronto.
comparto con algunos usuarios, no se esta dando una solución si no una especie de parche por ejemplo con la copia de seguridad, que al fin al cabo no sabes si te va a servir o no, porque no sabes cuando se solucionara, quizás perdis tiempo.

It seems that we will have to wait, hopefully it will be solved soon.
I share with some users, a solution is not being given but a kind of patch for example with the backup, which in the end you don’t know if it will work for you or not, because you don’t know when it will be solved, maybe you waste time .

da una sensación de hecho a ciegas.

It gives a feeling of blind fact.

Russia is also not supported by either Uphold or Gemini. Why not just give the rewards to Brave’s inner wallet??? Without any Uphold???

That’s because of the ongoing war. There was sanctions places by governments. Though I’m not sure if there was more to it or what’s going on.

Please see https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/wiki/Wallet-support-FAQ#why-cant-my-wallet-receive-my-rewards-how-about-tipping-from-my-wallet

It may yet be a possibility far in the future, but it doesn’t seem like anything that can even be considered here any time soon. As simple as it may sound to you, there’s a lot of things “behind the scenes” that would have to occur. For example Brave would need to get special licenses, they’d need to collect all of our personal information, they’d have to report all of our information to governments, and so much more. The amount of work that would be required to handle it all is too much. Not to mention it would be too much information in one place.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the clarification. I took everything out of Uphold a long time ago. It was just interesting that why not give rewards straight to the Brave wallet. Now I’m clear. I agree absolutely that this is a huge job. Who needs it but ourselves?))))) Thanks again.

1 Like

I’ve been monitoring this issue in the hope that something changes and I can finally get my Gemini account re-verified by Brave. For now, nothing has changed. I ask that anyone who knows anything new, post it here, please. Thanks.