Reformatting the Brave News Feed

Before I switched over to Brave from Microsoft’s Edge, I enjoyed Edge’s news feed as a way to start my day. I was very pleased to see a news feed available in tabs for Brave, and unlike Edge, there seems to be more customizability for which news outlets I see which is excellent. However, the two browsers portray their feeds very differently.

With Edge, news could be displayed on the first tab page instead of a nice picture (or one could keep the nice picture and have the news feed below it like Brave does by default; Edge users had a choice). In addition, Edge news links were spread out in a grid display for quicker viewing of headlines; unfortunately, Brave news can only be viewed in a single column. Furthermore, Edge had category links that would instantly sort the viewing options; with Brave, the business news is mixed with the politics which is mixed with the tech with no way to have only one displayed at a time.

Brave is ultimately better than Edge, and I don’t see myself switching back anytime soon, but it did have a great way of displaying the news. If Brave can adopt some of its excellent news features into its own browser, it would make it that much better.

Sad to see this never got any traction.

I tried the news feed before and ultimately put it down due to its clunky interface and endless scrolling. This latest update was touting the news feed again so I decided to have another look. Unfortunately, it’s still in the dark ages.

I’m not sure if there’s underlying reason that’s not clear on why it’s presented they way it is, but I have a suspicion that they formatted it for mobile first, and just copied it to the desktop. That way they didn’t have to manage two separate interfaces.

I have an ultrawide monitor at home, and a large HiDPI monitor at work, and this single column of cards is about as inefficient as you could get.

Give us the ability to truly customize our news feeds and then you would have something to toot your own horn about. I’ll wait for the next announcement and have another look then.