Reddit in Private Mode Unable to Load, absurd CPU usage

Description of the issue:
The reddit website is unable to load in the private mode, and it begins eating an alarming amount of CPU and memory

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://www.reddit.com/
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Shield settings are entirely default
Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
The site functions just fine in a non-private browser instance, thus I doubt shields are having an effect

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
N/A
Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
The site loads as expected when using Microsoft Edge (I don’t have Chrome installed atm, and I doubt the website works in Edge but not Chrome)

Brave version (check About Brave):

1 Like

A better image of the Memory usage after actually waiting a few seconds:

Erm 366 processes, Maybe limit the tabs/extensions to see which is causing it.

Turned all my extensions off, opened just the private browser window with the single tab. It took a bit longer for the memory issues to show up, but they definitely still did.

847 processes is a lot. need to close a few tabs to isolate the actual issue

There are no other tabs open when I took that screenshot. I only had that one tab open, in that private window, and no other browser windows open. The picture showing my extensions were all off was taken after the one showing the ridiculous usage. It is, quite honestly, somehow generating that many processes from whatever it’s doing in that loop.

Force exit, close all tabs or kill the process in windows via task manager

To @fanboynz: @NekoRobbie found my issue submitted around the same time, and it seems to be the same. I didn’t initially notice the high CPU utilization since it only seems to occur on 5 cores for me (and my computer’s processor has more than 5 cores, so the overall utilization was not unreasonable). My Brave instance is only using about 31-34 processes at the moment, and it is still experiencing this issue.

Interesting, I did test it, and turning Shield off does allow the page to load in Private Tabs, so the issue is probably related to Shield.

That makes sense, I’m just on a Ryzen 3 3200g, so I only have 4 cores total. As for the insane amounts of process and memory consumption… no clue

Update Brave Ad Block Updater - Version: 1.0.720 (or better) in brave://components will fix the reddit issue

1 Like

@fanboynz thanks for the extremely prompt fix! Out of curiosity, do you know what was causing the issue? It’s interesting to me that it only manifested in Private Tabs.

Yup, updating that component worked! Thanks for the prompt fix.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.