Randomly opens Dev Tools

Description of the issue:
Sometimes, when i open a new window and start to type; either within the page or in the URL bar, Brave randomly launches/opens the dev tools screen.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I have not figured out how to reproduce this; but when i went to ‘about brave’ it happened again (Screenshot attached)

Expected result:
Dev Tools screen shouldnt randomly open.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 0.68.132 Chromium: 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

@Bodi,
Can I ask what extensions you have installed in the browser?

Also, is it only when typing, or is that just “generally” when you notice it? I ask because you mentioned opening the About Brave page which caused Dev Tools to occur, but didn’t require use of the keyboard.

Adobe Acrobat, Honey, Skype, amazon assistant for chrome, last pass, wikibuy from capital one, Application launcher for Drive (google).

Seems to happen randomly, mainly when i am typing in a browser window, but occasionally when i open a browser window. the screenshot that I shared occurred as I clicked ‘about brave’ which I think is the same trigger as opening another random browser tab.

@Bodi,
Can you try testing to see if you can produce this behavior in different browsing scenarios? For example, can you test:

• Browsing with your extensions disabled? Easiest way to do this without manually disabling all extensions would be to create a new browser profile using the profile menu (next to main menu), as it will load fresh without extensions or browsing data.
  • Browsing in a Private window
  • Browsing in a Guest window

Test and see if dev tools continue to, or stop appearing in these different conditions and let me know what you find out.

Thanks, I’ll report back once i can test

• Setup a new browser profile -
  • Browsing in Private Window (not tor) -
  • Browsing in Guest Window -
1 Like

hey @matches,

seems like the issue has fixed itself. Dev Tools hasnt popped up in any situation since your response. I think this is good to close for now. I will open a new ticket if it happens again.