RAM Usage is Off the Charts, Why?

Thank you to those of you who provided the requested information I asked for. The reason I asked for it is to see if Brave at baseline – that is, by itself without any other major factors playing into it. So far, at baseline, it seems like everyone’s browser is just fine. The three most common reasons for memory drain tend to be

1. Hardware Acceleration often causes spikes in cpu/memory usage – please try disabling HWA in the browser and see if this helps improve performance ( Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration)
  2. Specific websites can cause a spike in resource usage – sometimes this is due to (for example) graphically demanding websites (Twitch, HQ YT videos, etc) or may also be sites that have a considerable amount of ads/trackers blocked. Check and see if there’s a common connection between high resource usage and your browsing habits. If we can isolate a site(s) that are causing spikes like this we can submit a report and get the issue looked at.
  3. Some extensions may cause conflict with the browser or certain websites. Given the variety of extensions and possible setups it’s hard to pin this on one in particular. But it’s always worth checking to see if extensions have any part to play in this type of behavior – simply disable them temporarily (I recommend one at a time) and test to see if performance improves.

@adamalpha, in your case I’m a bit confused because your task manager shows 40% memory usage but the amount of memory used actually isn’t all that high – how much memory do you have in your system?