Question on auto-update (anti-virus related)

The developer build auto-update feature did not play nicely with Kaspersky Free Antivirus, which terminated it as “Suspicious activity” and removed half of the installation… :roll_eyes: I got it reinstalled by terminating the antivirus before installing Brave-dev again. Nothing was lost configuration wise, so no worries. After looking around in the task scheduler, I found two scheduled tasks that run BraveUpdate.exe, so I added that executable as a trusted application. Are there any other components involved in the auto-update or does the rest run in the same process tree as BraveUpdate.exe?

Hi @jek6094, sorry to hear about the inconvenience. I appreciate your persistence to work through it and get it resolved.

As for your question, we’ve had a decent amount of reports saying Kaspersky and Brave-Dev were not playing nicely, particularly on Windows 7. Can you tell me what OS you’re using? I’d like to make a note of this in case the issue is showing signs of regression in future updates.

In the meantime, I will ask the rest of the team and see if they have any suggestions on what to whitelist and/or how to avoid this happening again.

1 Like

I’m on Win7. It looks like whitelisting BraveUpdate.exe has resolved the issue. I haven’t seen any complaints so far anyway. In case anyone else is interested, here are the steps I followed to whitelist the update component:

• Open the Anti-virus GUI and click on Settings
  • Choose “Additional”, and then “Threats and Exclusions”
  • Click on “Specify trusted applications”
  • Click “Add”, browse to and select C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Update\BraveUpdate.exe
  • Check “Do not monitor application activity”
  • Check “Do not monitor the activity of child applications” and “Apply exclusion recursively”
  • Click “Save”

Just in case, I also did the same steps for C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-Dev\Application\Brave.exe.

Hope this helps if anyone else runs into the same problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kaspersky AND Comodo have this detected as malware for me. I just reported it to Comodo as a FP and the same with Kapsersky. Running Windows 10 64 bit here.

1 Like

Seems it did not work by whitelisting BraveUpdate.exe, I still got malware reports this morning when the scheduled task was started. It’s the Setup.exe that runs under C:\Windows\Temp that causes detection. (Which makes sense, I guess that is how malware normally injects itself into a computer)

Question on the auto-update topic: After looking around, I have found the following:

Two scheduled tasks:

• BraveSoftwareUpdateTaskMachineCore
  • BraveSoftwareUpdateTaskMachineUA

Two services:

• Tjänsten Brave Update (brave)
  • Tjänsten Brave Update (bravem)

Oddly enough, the last two are named in swedish even though all other are named in English, and I have an English Windows 7 Professional…

Which of these are related to the Brave developer build? (I did have the official Brave browser installed before, so maybe some are leftovers?)