Question: "Allow google login for extensions" option in brave

Description of the issue:
Currently I have enabled the option “Allow google login for extensions” but I have disabled the other option “Allow Google login button on third party sites”.
Does this configuration permites google tracking?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I don’t know if google can track me or not.
Expected result:
Google cannot track me.

Reproduces how often:

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Versione 1.25.72 Chromium: 91.0.4472.101 (Build ufficiale) (a 64 bit)
Additional Information:

When this option is enabled: It enables chrome.identity for extensions so extensions like Google Keep and Google Calendar can retrieve an OAuth token from google to authenticate users. The OAuth token can be used to retrieve personal information like email id, profile. You can read more about chrome.identity here: https://developer.chrome.com/apps/identity

If you are not logged into Google, these options have no effect for you.

Hello, thank for your answer, but I still have not understood:
I’m not logged into goggle when browsing the web, so I think google is not tracking me (at least not directly using the account information).
but I want to use chrome extensions from google, so I left enabled the first option, related to extensions.
so if I install an extension from google (for example google translate) is google able to track me?
maybe it could track me only when I translate a page?
thanks.

The “Allow Google login for extensions” option is not related to all extensions from Google. It is related to certain extensions that require using your Google account, for example Google Keep and Google Calendar. Disabling the option doesn’t mean you won’t be able to install Google extensions. I personally have never enabled the option.

Since you’re not logging into your Google account, the option has no effect on you, as per the description on Github.

Depends on the extension. If the extension makes connections to Google’s services for some reason, revealing information that it doesn’t need for its proper functionality, it’s not a privacy-respecting extension.

ok, thank you for your clear explanation!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.