PWAs & Web App Sessions

Hello,

Do PWAs and web apps (through “create shortcut”) on desktop open in a different session than the main browser? Do they share cookies? Put another way, could I login into Gmail account 1 in the main browser and create a web app to log into Gmail account 2 without the accounts “seeing” each other?

Thank you.

1 Like

From what I can tell, an ‘app’ spawned from a session will share a session with the main browser window(s).

I say this because when I close a session, and re-open it, the ‘app’ windows are also restored; and further, I created a Google Calendar ‘app’ window from an open GMail tab and did not have to log into Google separately.

Based on this I think it’s shared with the parent window. But, you could always create another profile and spawn an app from there if you did want to separate it.

1 Like

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much.

1 Like

I want to follow up with an update and additional information in case it is helpful for others finding this post.

I originally posted this question because I am switching over from Firefox and had to find a solution for losing the Multi-Account Containers add-on. Thank you to @JimB1, I followed the below steps to implement what is effectively a Multi-Account Containers replacement on Mac OS.

1. Create a new profile for each “container”, customizing the extensions for each profile use case.
  2. Create web apps in the various profiles where they belong (ex: create an Amazon[.]com web app in the Amazon profile).
  3. Download a matching Mac OS Big Sur icon at https://macosicons.com/ for the web app and replace it with the downloaded icon (web app icons do not look cohesive with the style of Big Sur).

I did this for all of my containers and things seem to be working well. I use one profile for my main browsing habits and then the additional profiles are only used to isolate the various web apps that I created.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.