PSA: Self-Tipping

A tip for self-tipping:
Don’t be greedy and tip everything to your own verified channel/website/platform… No wonder you’re flagged because you’re probably tipping large amounts. I had tried self-tipping myself in the past but I only do, 1-2 BAT… the rest, I tip to wikipedia, TOR project, some useful projects in github, and some other sites… Self-tipping definitely defeats the very purpose of brave BAT’s incentivizing legitimate creators.

I just wish there was a way to “reset” all my previous connections from Brave/Uphold since they have all been used up by previously nuked Operating systems on my desktop, Obsolete devices that were upgraded, and and Updated Laptops. Now, I can’t direct-link any of my brave accounts to my Uphold account and I don’t want to open other wallets. I don’t have any option but tip myself until this gets resolved. I mean, we are talking huge amounts… like between my 3 devices, I may get 4-7 Bat a month. I know, it is not much, but it adds up over time. I specifically don’t use Apple due to this reason (and a few others along a philosophical belief). If someone from Brave could help put my links back to zero, that would be such a help… I just don’t know who I could ask and how much time you want to chase down the answer?

Well @Saoiray, I’m not an informatics guy, I’m only a guy who wants to understand the rules of what he is dealing (people to whom I recommended Brave asks me questions and I ask overhere). The same happens when people get a bank account, they want to know all the rules, even those written on the tiny letters.

Well, based on your opinion and my personal thoughts I think that the tipping topic is something very new and risky, specially when we have to deal with an automatic software that decides who’s suspicious and who’s not (every software is full of issues). Taking that in consideration, I will tell to my people to prevent those scenarios, cause tipping is oriented to something global, not local.

Personally, I think that the creator’s first audience are those who know the creator, his/her close relatives and buddies. They’re the ones who support him/her when everything is starting up. Soon after, the world get to know his/her job and the audience grows.

See you overhere

Yeah, but not usually people still living with them. But even that point aside, we have to look at it objectively. Here’s what can be seen:

• Person A has a Verified Creator account
  • There are multiple devices which aren’t connected to any particular person that share the IP address, as they are unverified.

Without having verified accounts, it makes it impossible to know if it’s the person with a Creator account doing this and tipping themselves to try to bypass the device limitations or what’s going on. Overall, it just comes across as suspicious. Especially if all or nearly all of the monthly earnings from those devices are being tipped to just one person.

The reasonable conclusion at that point is it’s likely being abused by someone. This isn’t 100% the case at all, but it’s the assumption to be made unless can somehow be proven otherwise. And if they have to give room for error, it had to be on the side of their business. This is especially a given when you see the number of people admitting they are/were tipping themselves to circumvent the restrictions Brave had in place.

Well, it’s just as I said above. If they aren’t getting Uphold/Gemini accounts and just running on devices solely to tip you, then it likely would be suspicious. There’s no accountability or proof that it’s not just you with multiple devices or running things on an emulator. If you’re having others tip you for support, encourage them to get verified wallets. But if they aren’t, then yeah, it’s “risky” in that there’s always a chance your Creator account could get suspended as it has no way to know if things are legitimate.

@Jsimuaci maybe this can help on your current situation: Unable to re-verify wallet - #118 by Mattches

it may not solve what you really wanted but that is the current available closest option until they lifted the limit…

1 Like

Thank you so much. It is a step to mitigate the current limitations and that works for me. I really appreciate your time you took to respond to my plight.

@Jsimuaci yeah, at least Ian got it. Sorry I missed yours. Just a FYI though for you and @IanMoone . They are eliminating the device limits. I’m not exactly sure when but the goal has been for this month. To quote the person in charge:

This change is currently code-complete. However, actual release date (which won’t be tied to a Brave release #, since it’s back-end work), will depend on how testing goes, which is starting up now.

I renamed this issue to something more general, because we are no longer providing an interface to manage linking slots, given that linking limits will not exist anymore. I am leaving it here even though most work is happening on the back-end, just to keep visibility on this issue.

I can make all sorts of assumptions on when we’ll see it, but it’s all random guesses. All we know is it’s complete and once they saw it cleared with no issues, they’ll have it implemented. I’ve been trying to watch for any updates shared on the Github at https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/18572

2 Likes

The whole “when” thing is always the huge “unknown” - I mean, if you have used Brave for a year or more, you can witness that they are not terribly quick in fixing issues. If you remember the whole synching issue problem, you’ll get my meaning. I’ve heard this has been in the process of getting fixed this month for the better part of 4 months now. I mean, it is not like I am paying for the software, so it doesn’t feel right to criticize or anything… however, if there is a workaround that doesn’t involve the self-tipping which is said to be okay in some instances, but not others, that would be the most preferrable option.

In any regards, I do thank you very much for contributing and helping spread the word, and let’s hope that this change becomes effective soon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.