Profile Error Occurred

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Open the Brave browser

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I have no history

Bookmarks no longer have individual icons, everything has the same black and white circular icon

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 17.15.23

This is the error message popup:

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 17.14.58

Expected result:

No error message popup, browser history, bookmark menu and bar icons, etc.

Reproduces how often:

This broken-ness is a permanent feature now (since the error occurred)

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

macOS 12.6.2 (Monterey)

Brave Version 1.47.171 Chromium: 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

No visible reason for the error to occur, it just happened spontaneously. I’d like to fix my profile and don’t want to lose my personal data, bookmarks, passwords, etc.

Nobody can help? I was hoping that at least one techie would bother looking at these forums.

@vkd108 I can start off by asking for information. I mean, what happened just before? Did this happen after an update? Have you installed any new extensions or programs?

If you go to https://brave.com/download/ and download, does it correct anything? (not telling you to uninstall, but just to reinstall as it can replace corrupt files sometimes)

Part of me was going to ask if you might have somehow ended up creating a new profile, but then would have questions about why bookmarks would be showing there.

I copied a new copy over the top of the old one (reinstalled) but it didn’t solve the profile problem.

Just before it became broken, nothing in particular was done, no update was made at that time, no other new extension or program was installed.

I cannot see any way to create a new profile within Brave. I can rename the existing one but thats about it.

Thanks for your help.

@Mattches, @justsomeone1 @JimB1 any of you have clues on this?

@vkd108 Just as a FYI, going to reply to this little bit below:

If you had created a profile in Brave, you’d seen an icon on the top right of your page, kind of like you see below. (I created a profile called Test to show you)

New Tab - Brave 1_24_2023 09_27_57

As to how to create new profiles, average way is to click the hamburger menu (three dots/lines on upper right) and then choose Create a new profile. All desktop versions can do this.

2 Likes

Great. I created a new profile and managed to copy the bookmarks from my broken profile over to it, although they don’t have icons on them (yet). Whether they will have icons in the future, do you know?

This new profile functions separately to the other one, in that, I can’t drag and drop open tabs from one to the other, and replying to this thread requires me to be in the original profile or log in again in the new profile.

What I would like to do now is to copy open tabs to the new profile, is there a quick way to do that, like save a group of tabs etc.?

Thanks for your help Saoiray.

Have you visited those pages since adding? Sometimes that might be needed. If not, I’m uncertain why they wouldn’t be showing. All of mine have icons. If they still don’t populate after you click on the bookmark to go to the page, then we can see if Kevin_cc, Mattches, or one of the other Support can help.

You can sync between profiles. So create a sync chain or, if you have a sync chain already, just add new profile to it.

1 Like

Hello @vkd108

i can think of extension issue maybe update to one of the extension is the cause of that so could you go to your old profile and disable all extension then restart brave and see if it help

if it work then enable extension one by one till you get the one causing the issue

not sure if you install any security application on your mac maybe antivirus and it could be the cause of it

if the above does not help could you clear cache and history using time range as All Time

if those did not help then you can stick with the new profile that @Saoiray suggested you to do and move your data there as i see you did so

i would not recommend to do that cause i am not sure if the issue could be transferred for the new profile using sync or not
manual copy of each tab link to the new profile would be better and you need it only once

hope that help and have a nice day both of you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Disabled all Extensions, quit Brave, restarted Brave - error dialog popped up. It asked me who was using, as I had the 2 profiles open, I chose the original as my open tabs are in it.

So it appears that the profile defect still exists as the error popped up before a profile was selected.

I imagine that it is a corrupt file in the Folder Users/(username)/LIbrary/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser as reinstalling the app in Applications folder didn’t help so I imagine its in there somewhere.

I deleted the above BraveSoftware folder and now Brave starts without an error popup. I imported my bookmarks that I saved, along with my open tabs; I found Bookmarks>Bookmark All Tabs and just saved them all like that. I’m hoping that my Bookmark icons will come back with time and my History will get saved again.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Have a nice day.

@vkd108 by default brave load the default profile which is your old profile in this case that why it show up the issue again

and when reinstall brave it does not delete/remove any profile

glad to know you find away to solve it but it better when you face those issue to create new profile and move all your data there then close any window from the old profile then delete it from within the brave

thanks for you and you too :slight_smile:

Yes, what happened was, it showed the profile-has-bug popup then in the main window it asked me who I was and there was a selection box with the two profiles I had in it, one called Profile 1 and the other xyz.

thanks for the info by the way take it a happit to backup your bookmark and password maybe once per week in case if any issue happened you be safe

1 Like

Yes thats a good idea. Thanks, my friend.

1 Like

you very welcome @vkd108

Hello!
Sorry I’m late to the party here. Additional apologies as I’m a little confused here. @vkd108, to clarify, you first started seeing this issue after you copied over your profile data from one Brave installation to another — is that correct? If so, what exact folder did you copy over?

No no no, the problem simply manifest of its own accord. Brave was being used normally and one day it showed the popup that the profile had a defect and that was that.

@vkd108,
Other than your history (in your main profile) what data is missing from it?

The bookmark icons all disappeared too

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.