Problem opening a PDF

I wanted to report this a a problem but it might not be a problem with Brave.

Yesterday I needed to download a PDF form from a government website. When I pressed the download button the page told me that I was not running the latest version of Adobe Acrobat and suggested I needed to download a newer version on my PC. Here’s the message that was displayed

Please wait…

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
viewer may not be able to display this type of document. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Since I could not download the file with Brave I launched Microsoft Edge and got the same message so I then when to Windows Explorer and this time the PDF page rendered.

On my PC I’m running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and when I click on check for updates the app says my copy is up to date. Now given the fact that Brave and Edge had the same behavior but Windows Explorer did not I found to be a bit odd since the copy of Reader I have should be the same version for any of my browsers so I thought I would report it to you to you more as an FYI. I’m running Windows 10 Pro V1903 with July patches and version 0.66.101 of Brave.

Note that I can reproduce this behavior anytime I want by going to the page below, selecting DD2527 from the list of forms on the right side of the screen and then pressing the download button. Here’s the link to the page.

https://tricare4u.com/wps/portal/tdb/tricare4u/contact-us/forms/forms/!ut/p/z1/pVJdb4IwFP0r7sHHphcKWB6ZGtDJotmY0JelIkg3Laidzv36lc0lyxYxxr40vR_nnHt7MMMxZpLvxIIrUUq-1O-EOc_jIHACg8LI7_kUvNCCQRgRAmMDT78K4MTxALPf_XTS10GHGsOJ0SUUnGN_QwFr5n_CDLNUqkoVONlX21ZaSpVJ1crkYim2RRvqAE8Vetu2IS83q5-rbqxSMcdJZlOLk5yjfA42suYdjlwOJqIGJa7pztLMJX-F_lfCmvcwrfl0ienDIAAw7sCvE2a37zxOQtKj5rGgASPRGjonNdh6mzuR7XEk9Xz68x4uHDE4y0CuZGiGH1lXwg_PuUXb2dyE3XChYbkqkJB5ieNvO-iceFmvmaf9VHvoXeH4MkNVqyhaUXJAr3nYJ1Yy3H3c3iM2O-y9m0-HwuNH/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

@Moondoggy,
Did the error message display in the browser, or did it display in Adobe?
On my end, I can download and view these documents without issue (using Brave release (v0.66.101)).

Hi, @Moondoggy. That message you posted displays when the built-in viewer (even Adobe’s browser plug-in, actually) is asked to render a PDF that is too complicated for it to handle. I get it all the time when I try to view certain government forms that include a lot of scripts and such.

The fix is to download the PDF to your hard drive and open it with Adobe Reader or another more powerful PDF viewer. You should be able to download from the viewer even when you get that message by clicking the download icon in the top right of the viewer pane.

Thank you for the reply. I never noticed that download icon being present until you highlighted in your reply. Most of the time on PDF downloads the download works automatically when you press the download button on the page itself but it doesn’t on this page. I went back to the website and verified that when the I get the "Please Wait… " message I pressed the download button you indicated and I did get the option to save the file. Thank you so much for resolving this error. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.