Private TOR Browser Not Displaying Images From Website

Description of the issue
When using the Private TOR Browser feature, some images on a feed are not showing up. It’s “whited” out like it’s not loaded up. Some pictures on the site load, and some don’t. All the photo’s are located on the same site, as it’s a feed from a social media site.

However, if I open another Brave window with all the same Shield Settings, all the photos show up just fine. I’ve matched all the settings, so the only difference is, I’m going through the TOR network.

Why don’t all images load while using the TOR feature, and what settings are different that cause this?

Exact URL of the website in question
Can’t extract, as it’s a feed on the GAB website…and only visible when logged in.

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? [Default states are: Block: Ads/Trackers, 3rd Party Cookies, 3rd Party Fingerprinting Allow: Encrypt Connections enabled (HTTPS), Scripts] (yes/no)

Yes. No settings changed, and match default settings. Still occurs.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? (yes/no)

No. I can turn off the Shield completely using the TOR browser feature, and the same issue occurs…some images are not displayed.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no)

No. Not that I’m aware. No matter what Shield setting, or if I turn off Shield all together, it doesn’t work with TOR Browser settings, but does work with a window that’s not Private.

Does the site function as expected when using Chrome? (yes/no)

Yes, Safari. If I use Safari, it works just fine. I don’t have Chrome.

What Brave version/Build are you using when you encounter the issue?(About Brave info)

Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Tor is awesome, but remember that you are using random nodes. Some nodes are worse than other and can for example refuse your request.

If you have problem with the images not loading (could be that each image is a request), then best bet is to get a New Tor Identity. There are two ways of doing it:

1. Shortcut: CTRL+SHIFT+R
  2. Or use New Tor Identity in hamburger menu:

You can check your ip: https://check.torproject.org/

Let me know if that helps.

2 Likes

I appreciate the quick response. After doing this, I still run into the same issue. I’d like to know if other people using the TOR feature are seeing the same thing. I have a website up in Safari, and Brace, and they work just fine…but same site using Brave TOR doesn’t load everything. Very strange. Maybe it’s the node thing you mentioned. Hope others using Brave TOR can give some input…

Would you be able to provide an example of a site where the images won’t load or display that we can also view/navigate to?

1 Like

Does the same issue happen when you use Tor Browser? If it does, it’s possible that the site (or the CDN hosting those images) might be blocking Tor exits. There’s not much we can do about that; you’ll have to take it up with the site.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.