Privacy guidance please - browser fingerprinting defences

Yes neither of those solutions would come close really. I am curious that you’re curious! Mainly because I thought plugins/extensions were ‘bad’ now due to fingerprint issues?

It’s fantastic and it would probably get old for some users but I don’t browse like most people, I don’t use any social media, although I do use the web VERY heavily (100+ browser tabs usually!)

It creates a new container with every new tab, UNLESS the tab is opened FROM another container. So for example, if i hit cmd-T (new tab) its a new container, but if I am in ebay and I want to open a few items in new tabs to look at (as I often do with many sites), I just cmd click (or right click open in new tab) and those are all in the same container. I love it. I have 20 ebay tabs open right now ,all logged in and work normally, but if i open a new tab to log into paypal to check my balance, paypal doesn’t ‘know’ about my ebay login or activity as the cookies are stored separately. I also have it set to auto delete cookies from each container once all tabs from that container are closed, plus 15 mins (variable).

Stoic I think was the dev who built it, it’s called Temporary Account Containers. I tried “Multi Account Containers” which is widely regarded as ‘better’ but I disagree strongly, although that is certainly a cool app. The ultimate might be to use BOTH, which can be done and means the sites you use regularly retain their cookies permanently, and the browser recognises any links opened on that domain and immediately shifts to that container. So if you set up a container in Multi Account Container for Ebay, and another for Paypal, and another for YouTube, whenever you open a link to any of those, or browse to it, or even click a link to them from serps, that container is used so that tab has you logged in, yet other sites are treated like temporary account containers.

For me the temp ones do the trick, as I leave myself logged in for months on some sites just by keeping one tab open (pinned), so it really doesn’t cause many issues of constantly logging in. But the nice thing is if i visit amazon to browse some products, then close the tab, those cookies/data are fully isolated and auto deleted 15 mins after i close the tab.

After years of using FF like this, I have to say I am nervous of Brave, if only for the fact that I am not sure how much of my data/cookies can be seen by one site about another site. I am so used to being logged out when i browse to sites, it gives me a shock (and nasty feeling) when I open ebay (as i just did!) in brave to find myself logged in. Yikes! Thats horrible! UNLESS Brave fully isolates all such data anyway. If so, that’s VERY cool. If not, I MAY have to consider staying with Firefox (for some activity at least).

Question: Are you a FF or Brave user?

Try Brave for 1 month and see how it goes. If you do not like brave experience feel free to go back to firefox.
The data is all isolated from other domains in the same browsing session if you turn your settings to aggressive mode (as far as I know).

Both

“see how it goes”? Not helpful. this isn’t about UX, it’s about whats going on behind the scenes and making the best privacy choice before i start using. both brave and FF will go just fine in terms of usability.

Is there any way to get support from Brave actual staff, even paid? I have some questions I would pay for answers to before making the big jump over.

Did you look at the privacytests.org link I shared earlier?

It would be difficult to argue, on balance, that Firefox’s privacy protections are better than Brave’s for most common browser privacy concerns. The eBay login/logout thing is just because the cookie for the site gets deleted when the ephemeral container goes away – if it’s more important to you that every time you visit ‘Site X’ that you appear to be a new endpoint, you will need a lot more protections than either (or likely any, aside from Tor) is going to provide. The linked site is more geared towards protecting your ‘identity’ (using that term loosely) on one site against another which I think is your other question – and this is probably the most common definition – and Brave does do very well here.

You might also want to look at the “Sites that clear cookies when you close them” setting in brave://settings/cookies – I haven’t tried this, but it might partially fulfill this for you, although granted it’s a per-site approach. Some discussion here: Brave clearing cookies when I close tabs - #8 by TheWayOfYahweh

Beyond that – if you have ‘niche’ requirements that you cannot live without, if you don’t find someone to pay for answering more questions, that are more valuable to you than the other factors, and that Firefox solves for you, just use Firefox.

Hi and thanks Jim…

[quote=“JimB1, post:25, topic:423663, full:true”]
Did you look at the privacytests.org link I shared earlier?[/quote]
Yes. It looks good, but without understanding the ins and outs of each of the lines, I am one of those it’s probably aimed at! (i.e. wow, green ticks, that’s ‘good’!)

That’s very useful to know thank you. I don’t want to use Tor so I am looking for the MOST effective at doing that, i.e. maximum possible reduction of my fingerprint BETWEEN Brave and Firefox (understanding Tor is obviously superior but not on the table for me)

That’s a great feature and could definitely be useful for me, for sites I regularly visit but who track users heavily (ebay as an example)

I definitely want to use Brave, I just really want to understand how it compares in terms of fingerprinting protection to Firefox WITH my active extensions (bearing in mind they are a fingerprintable vulnerability in themselves!)

Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.