Possible GPU acceleration bug?

Description of the issue:

After a page sits idle for an indeterminate amount of time, graphics and text looks like this:

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Load pretty much any page.
  2. Wait.

Expected result:

The page looks normal, doesn’t change over time.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.17.29 Chromium: 86.0.4240.80 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)
and
Version 1.15.72 Chromium: 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

By scrolling the affected portions of the page off the top or bottom of the screen or maximizing/restoring the window, or dragging the window around the screen I can make the garbled stuff go away. I don’t see similar behvior on Chrome Desktop or on Edge Chromium on this machine.

Wait how long?

Second question … did this issue show up recently? If yes, “what changed”?

(as a point of reference, I’ll have a browser window up with multiple tabs, sitting idle for 2-3 hours, without issue).

Unfortunately, indeterminate is really the descriptor. Sometimes it breaks in seconds, sometimes it’s hours before I see anything. In terms of what’s changed, I have updated graphics drivers, Brave when it’s alerted me about updates and Nightly maybe weekly. I didn’t notice that any of those changes were aligned with the problem. Since it started, I’ve been actively messing with Brave settings and graphics drivers without seeing a resolution. The only other thing that I can think of is that something recently corrupted my Windows PATH environment variable and I’ve been manually adding things to the path as I’ve noticed they’re missing. I could try uninstalling and reinstalling Brave.

I’ve been examining the screenshot a little closer - is obviously a “graphics” issue.

I notice in the screenshot there’s a snippet of text, “hardware acceleration” - i assume you’ve researched that setting for Brave … any change (?), if you altered that setting?

I hadn’t got far with it when I grabbed that screen shot. I have Nightly changed over to not use acceleration and haven’t seen an issue in a few hours. I’ll report back in a bit.

I’m a week in and haven’t seen any issues with graphics acceleration disabled other than missing all the advantages that graphics acceleration gives. Not what I’d call a solution, but narrows down the field of potential causes?

Agreed … you could turn acceleration back on and see if the issue returns.

EDIT: if it returns, disable acceleration again … you could run graphics tests to see if things work smoothly

Keep in mind … this feature comes from Chromium, and many folks using it and Chrome have issues with hardware acceleration turned on (so it’s not really a Brave feature).

Graphics test tools at Mozilla

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.