Please keep the tabs where they are, under the address bar

I checked the developer build and I don’t understand why they need to be over the address bar like Chrome. It’s not efficient or anything. Current Safari style design is perfect, it just needs a dark theme. I like the huge constant space on each side of the address bar where I can control its window easily without trying to get into the tiny space between the top of the tab and top border of the window.

Chrome’s design looked good to people at first because it was something different but it’s no longer different and function-wise it’s just not better at all.

Agreed. Where they are, is what made me instantly like Brave.

+1 for keeping under the address bar.

I’ll offer a different opinion. I’m a fan of the tabs above the address bar. To me the address bar is essentially part of the page you are viewing. With tabs under the address bar, you now have the page split by tabs which don’t relate to what you are viewing. The address bar, Brave shield, refresh, etc. should all be closer to the page than the tabs which largely do not relate to the page itself.

That said, obviously having and option for one vs. the other would be a win-win right?

yeah, two options would be perfect. But none of the browsers that switched to the tabs on top style really did that, it’s just not what they do. Even Vivaldi doesn’t have that option even though you can customize pretty much anything in it.

Well the way I see it is: tabs would be directly over the page i’m viewing, it would look like a header and would be directly connected to the page. I wouldn’t need to go over the address bar every time I switch a tab. Assuming that we do most of our clicking on the tab bar and not the address bar, I think it would make more sense to have the tab bar closer to where our pointer usually is.

So far, tabs under is the one thing I really like about Brave.

Brave UI Feedback

It is better if we keep this as an option because some people like me really hate the tabs under.

Hey @Klayn and other dear users!

This is a fairly common request we’ve been seeing since releasing the Dev build to the public. We certainly hear and understand your desire for this particular feature. We have an issue open for it in GitHub to which I will link below. As for next steps:

• I’m going to link to this thread in GitHub and add a +1 to the issue so the Devs can take note of it
  • If you have a GitHub account yourself, feel free to add a +1 to the initial comment on the issue itself (helps to draw attention to the subject)

For anyone who agrees with this feedback/request commenting after this reply:
If you feel that this is a good idea and your reply to this thread would appear below the one I’m making now :point_down: simply give a thumbs up or say “+1” to keep things clean, if you don’t mind.

Also ccing @rossmoody for additional thoughts/input

Hiyah all. Ross here from the product team. Just wanted to pop in and provide a smidge of clarity on some of this stuff for context.

The new Brave Dev build is based on Chromium (which is probably why it feels like Chrome :)). We adopted v69 of Chromium in an effort to make larger strides in a shorter time for the new Brave Core. With this approach it means we inherit some updates, changes and general UI behavior (including tabs on top of the URL bar) that contrast to the direction we were headed in previously on Muon.

Tab behavior, aesthetics and usability updates are on the docket for future consideration but I just wanted to pop in and point out the Brave team didn’t up and ditch the tab placement entirely out of some sense of preference. If we could offer both easily we would but the ramifications of catering to two tab placements would involve incredible usability consideration. It would essentially double the workload by having to cater to two toolbar instances for all operating systems.

Two factor authentification extensions

@Mattches I definitely DISAGREE with this 1000%. Please do NOT put the tabs on the bottom. Old Brave version annoyed me so much with this. Tabs should be on TOP like every other browser and like God intended. If not for the simple fact that everyone is used to that from using other browsers, but the usability/productivity is a huge factor. Tabs being on top is a smart design decision. Don’t put them on bottom for the sake of being different or “cool”. It will just create more unnecessary customization of the UI and waste time on things better spent being coded.

If takes a lot more precision with the mouse to not only move horizontally to select the tab you want, but the vertical aspect is a pain in the butt. I should be able to throw my mouse at the top of my screen and bump up to the limit of my display area to quickly get to my tabs, not have to worry about “slamming on the brakes” beforehand or to backtrack to get the pointer just right across the tab bar. For those that argue that this scenario could be for the address bar, I say no. The address bar isn’t used as often as opening/closing/selecting tabs, and the keyboard shortcut ALT+D takes care of getting to it quickly. Besides, if you’re using the mouse pointer to get to the address bar, you most likely have the pointer very close to where it already needs to go because you have just opened/closed/switched to a tab at the top of the screen because you’re ready to input a new search or enter a new URL.

I don’t really mind tab position but I liked Brave because of the way it looked. Atm only Safari looks the way I want and not having a good option on the Windows side kinda sucks.
I guess it’s just the different ways we do things because of our habits. My pointer pretty much always follows my eyes, I never think about it and my eyes want to see the tabs right over the page. If precision bothered me i’d just switch tabs with control + tab or control + shift + tab.

Please make sure you read thoroughly:

Also:

But you’ll notice this was addressed as not the reason above -----:point_down:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.