Please don't label (and libel) conservative news sites as "FAKE NEWS"

Swap out your search engine for Qwant. It works within Brave and it’ll return proper results uncensored.

1 Like

Qwant censors https://nitter.kavin.rocks/QwantCom/status/1498755728877801472#m. It also relies on bing index to some extent, so you will get bing related ‘censorship’.

There are only three usable search engines - Brave search, Metagr, yandex. There are others too like Gigablast, mojeek etc, but they are practically unusable.

2 Likes

What then is/are unbiased search engines? I’m suspicious of most now that DDG has been shown to skew the results of our searches.

3 Likes

I wrote about them in my previous comment.

I observed a test using specific terms (that will remain nameless to avoid controversy) that showed categorically the Brave search gave the same censored results as Google. Qwant and resulthunter did not.

These type of test are meaningless currently (as of march 2022). Result hunter itself gets its result from bing/google. It only makes sure to boots certain news sites over other news sites related to a particular political faction. Direct quote from the founder “Simply put, you can’t beat the size and complexity of Google’s search index nor the sophistication and relevancy of their algorithms. All of that is a fancy way of saying that I use Google’s index and IMPROVE IT”

Yandex Search less censored than Brave Search? Please say it isn't so! The author of the substack article did a similar tests like you. The way it is done is flawed for brave search, for other seach engines it is true to some extent.

I think you can block that element. Or at least it seems to be working for me.

1. Enter a search
  2. Right click on the page displayed
  3. Select Brave -->Block element
  4. Select the element you want to block and click (be careful not to select everything!)
  5. Click create

The wiki feedback and wiki article link elements are removed. Works even after I close the browser and reload.

Of course, I have no idea how to reverse this! Anyone know or have some suggestions?

Edit: Display looks like image below. Tried with multiple sites, so I don’t think it is a one-off. I left the profiles… I like that! My decision if I what to view at any of the sites listed!

1 Like

Ran across this topic on how to remove blocked elements. :smiley:

brave://adblock --> Custom Filters (bottom of page)

Focus on the Family labeled a “fundamentalist” organization.

1 Like

Our only hope is Brave Search imho I’ve tried all the so called alternatives. The first week I had Brave Search, it was great. Then it changed. Even Goolag is better now.

That’s a Wikipedia widget, which has nothing to do with Brave

1 Like

Sir, dont you dare question the ministry of truth! You are only allowed to believe what the government and mainstream media tells you!
It is very dangerous for humanity to look at everything other then mentioned before sources!

We live in a time in where news get spun to fit a certain agenda/narrative! And actual true and factual journalism is shunned if it doesnt mirror what mainstream media wants you to believe.

1984 just called, it wants its story back. Sad but feels more and more true.

4 Likes

Then why is it the first thing you see when you do a search

1 Like

You’re literally complaining about third-party content, whether it’s the first thing you see or not doesn’t change that

1 Like

Yes to this! This will nuke growth of this search, as many are coming to this now from duckduckgo after they officially announced they’d be censoring somethings many thing is not high enough over the bar to be censored… I’m all team brave, long as it stays rational and pro freedom!

1 Like

All i know is using the search terms in all four search engines gave us two nearly identical results. DDG and Brave returned ‘conspiracy theory’ results, RH and Qwant returned actual current results. A little further down was the conspiracy theory links. The current news regarding 2,000 Mules has also been censored, a Brave search shows all the Google/Youtube and other free sites, and not the original site where the tickets could be bought for viewing. I get that everyone loves free, but that is misleading at best and meant to deprive the creator of the funds earned.

1 Like

I think the problem rests more with the choice of having Wikipedia be the information source. Wiki are out-and-out leftwing, no pretence about it. Brave should strive to use wholly neutral sources rather than big names which had the fortune of being in early and generating a regular audience before getting politically involved in the public discourse. For a new site with equal status to Wiki, and to be neutral, is a tall order at this juncture, but nevertheless, I think it will bode well for Brave if they pursue this line of thought. Britannica used to be THE encyclopaedia, nothing to say Wiki won’t decline once people find an alternative—Brave can help bring that about.

5 Likes

@Simxn Loved your post! Expresses my thoughts exactly.

I do think Wiki can be neutral but not on hot topic issues. Having to slog through and determining which are or are not presented neutrally is just not worth it. That’s why I rarely use that site - I really try to avoid using it at all.

I like Britannica for the most part. I have run across a couple of questionable entries (can’t think of any off the top of my head atm), but overall appears to present information neutrally as far as I can tell. Do hope it stays that way. As you say… finding sites that are neutral is a tall order at this point.

1 Like

Brave should not be promoting a fake news widget

1 Like

Brave should’ve labeled those as promoters of white supremacy as well because that’s what they do.

1 Like