Pinned websites are gone

Description of the issue: I opened Brave Browser to find all my pinned websites gone

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3. 1. I quit Brave 2. I reopened Brave

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Pinned websites were gone

Expected result: Pinned websites were there (like always)

Reproduces how often: Every time I open Brave

Brave Version(about:brave): Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): Yes

Additional Information: Btw, my OS is MacOS High Sirrea
I tried all the methods of solving below:

@Yusamac205 I tested pinned tabs on 0.58.18 Windows 7 and I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Only thing that comes to mind is how pinned tabs works. Pinned tabs in new Brave are per window. If you had 2 windows and closed the one with pinned tabs accidentally, then all those pinned tabs would be gone. You can restore the closed window with the pinned tabs by going:
Hamburger Menu (top right corner) -> History

or by using the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+T

I hope that helped.

4 Likes

I have the same problem here. Every time I close Brave all pinned Websites are gone. That never happend before.

It doesn’t matter if I use the “x” to close the window or stop Brave using cmd+q.

Brave: Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)

Probably should’ve mentioned I’m on MacOS High Sierra (I guess the bug is just a Mac thing?)

It could be a Mac issue. Pinging @LaurenWags.

1 Like

Closing window via the red X removes my pinned tabs as @btlechowski mentioned (since my pinned tabs are only in that window and I closed that window) - so that is expected. However, closing via cmd+q or Brave > Quit Brave from menu isn’t getting rid of my pinned tabs. What is your setting for ‘On Startup’ in brave://settings ? Are only pinned tabs wiped out but all your normal (non-pinned tabs) retained?

Also curious if this has always been the case for you or if you just started seeing this behavior.

Thanks,
Lauren

1 Like

Closing window via the red X removes my pinned tabs as @btlechowski mentioned (since my pinned tabs are only in that window and I closed that window) - so that is expected.

Why is that expected? Has it always been that way?

But You are right: using cmd+q ins’t getting rid of pinned tabs. I was wrong there.

Startup setting: Always open google.com
Also: All tabs are gone - pinned and normal

Hi @OvErrUn

It’s expected because how pinned tabs work changed in our newer versions, 0.55.x and above, of Brave (you might hear some folks reference these versions as Brave Core). In the older versions of Brave (0.26.x and below currently - sometimes referred to as Muon version), pinned tabs behaved differently.

When we updated and redesigned Brave (https://brave.com/new-brave-browser-release-available-for-general-download/) there were many changes and how pinned tabs behave is one of them. Now, Pinned tabs are only pinned in the window you pin them in. Meaning, if you open a window and pin tabs when you open a second window, you will see that your pinned tabs do not carry over to this new window. Thus, if you close the first window with the pinned tabs, they are lost.

Does this help answer your question?

Thanks,
Lauren

1 Like

That did help. Apparently I had a different understanding on how pinned tabs should work.

I would like it better if they would be pinned on every window I open, but i can confirm that there is no bug.

Sorry for the inconveniences!

2 Likes

So, to confirm, are you saying that in the new version, if I pin a bunch of tabs they will disappear when I close the browser? That’s enough to make me dumb Brave, as the permanently pinned tabs have been an important feature for me.

1 Like

Yes. I would really appreciate that as well. Please add this development team

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.