Picture disappears in videos

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Start any video on any site, including YouTube

Expected result:
Video and audio should play normally
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Additional Information:
Video starts playing and after maybe 30 seconds the screen goes blank to a white background and sound continues. Repeatable. Just started this morning and I can’t recall changing any settings. Have cleared all browsing data, rebooted Brave and problem persists. Opened Chrome browser and same videos on sites play normally.

Update: When this problem surfaced yesterday morning it was first on a motorcycle magazine site. I then went to YouTube and found the same behavior. Since then I have visited a number of other sites where the video plays as normal, but still whites out on YouTube. Perhaps it is a YouTube thing and the motorcycle ezine was a YouTube embedded video.
An interesting thing – if while the video’s background is white, audio is playing normally, I put the cursor on the progress bar the preview shows normally and changes while moving the cursor along the bar.

Hi @JustBill, thanks so much for reporting! Can you try to disable ‘Hardware Acceleration’ in settigns and see if that fixes it.

Settings -> Additional Settings -> System -> Toggle off Hardware Acceleration.

Let me know how that goes!

Hi Steeven,

I turned off hardware acceleration and rebooted the browser, went to YouTube and started a video. The screen on the video went white after about 15 seconds but sound continued as before.

I was wondering if it was an extension problem. I first disabled the Improve YouTube! (Open-Source for YouTube) extension and the problem persisted. Next I turned off all extensions and isolated the problem to the Pop up blocker for Chrome™ extension. I will get in touch with the developer and let them know. In the meantime you now have one more suggestion for anyone having the same problem. Now that I think about it I believe I had a similar problem a year or so ago with this extension while using Chrome, although it is active now in my Chrome browser and isn’t causing the same problems with YouTube – someone changed something somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me Steeven and I now have a solution, although I do love being able to banish repeating overlays with the Pop up blocker for Chrome™.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.