Pending reward BAT missing and error message when attempting to restore wallet via Uphold with correct key after clean reinstall

Description of the issue:
Error message when attempting to restore my wallet via Uphold with carefully saved key after clean reinstall. This is frustrating. Also, all pending reward BAT seems lost. This is disheartening.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download and install Brave
  2. Verify wallet with Uphold (brand new user account)
  3. Surf and accumulate up-to 29 days of yet-to-be-paid pending rewards BAT
  4. Attempt to backup local wallet. Brave (seems to be incorrect) says this is automatic: “The funds in your Brave wallet are virtual and not required to backup. It’s available for you to spend exclusively on this browser. If you’d like to secure all of your funds in the case of clean installing the browser or switching to a new device, and have other benefits such as adding, withdrawing and transferring funds, we recommend connecting to a verified Uphold wallet.” (I did connect to a verified Uphold wallet in Step 2.)
  5. Remove Brave from macOS completely
  • sudo rm -f -R ~/Library/Application\ Support/BraveSoftware
  • sudo rm -f -R ~/Library/Caches/BraveSoftware
  • sudo rm -f -R ~/Library/Caches/com.brave.Browser
  • sudo rm -f -R /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app
  • manually verify the above
  1. Reinstall Brave
  2. Navigate to brave://rewards and log in to Uphold.
  3. Attempt to restore wallet from key carefully saved in 1Password app: ERROR: “Please re-enter keys or try different keys” Previous pending BAT seems lost as new total shows 0.

Expected result:

1. Brave’s wallet backup instructions would be correct, 100% inclusive of all pending reward BAT.
  2. When attempting to restore wallet with correct key, restore is successful including all pending reward BAT.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.24.82 Chromium: 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
Processor 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB

Hi @philter, Welcome to Community!
Can you try just connecting to Uphold, the recovery key should not be needed.

If you’re able to connect to Uphold, that you’re all set, pending BAT will be lost when backing up to a new wallet.

I reconnected to Uphold in step 7, but I’m still having the problem.

Hi @philter
Apologies for the delay. Going over the post, I see the issue. Pending rewards are not backed up when connecting your wallet to Uphold.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.