PDFs stopped opening with last update

Problem: Open PDF is blank after latest Brave update

Reproduce: Click on any PDF link

Clicking on any PDF link opens a gray screen. Filename is at top in a darker gray strip

Expect: Visible, readable PDF pages

Previously 100% reliable on any PDF link

** Version: Version 1.39.122 Chromium: 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Info: Open in private window does display the PDF. Otherwise, I have to use a different browser to see these PDFs. Same links work OK with Chrome and Firefox

Hi

@celem

Because it works fine in private window, may be one of your installed extensions is the source of the problem.

Thanks CerealLover. Turning off two totally unrelated extensions made PDF display work. The two extensions are “Google Translate” and “Eno® from Capital One”. I cannot guess what those two would have in common. Possibly there is a library that each use that is the true problem.

3 Likes

@celem

May interest:

Capital One ENO extension

1 Like

I am encountering the same problem, and thanks to this thread was able to identify two extensions, including the Google Translate that you might think was ruled out here. The other is KeePassXC-Browser, which is far more important to me than being able to view a PDF in my browser.

Testing in Google Chrome Version 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) with the same extensions I was able to view PDFs just fine.

My Brave is currently Version 1.39.122 Chromium: 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (64-bit), so the difference in behavior is unexpected, and leads me to view this as an issue with Brave rather than the extensions (which are the same versions in both browsers).

My OS is OpenSUSE Leap 15.3.

linkp: Thanks for the input. I also use KeePassXC but the desktop version rather than the browser version, so that doesn’t interfere for me. The Eno extension is important for me so I added it back and will, for now, live with Brave’s poor handling of PDF inconvenience. I may switch back to Firefox. I agree with you that “this as an issue with Brave rather than the extensions” because I also have FireFox and Chrome installed, both with the Eno extension installed, yet they have no problem viewing PDFs in-browser.
BTW a good test PDF file is at https://www.learningcontainer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/sample-pdf-with-images.pdf

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.