Payment tab freezing and both purchased and free BAT missing after free token update

I had been using brave and had some BAT that I bought thru the Brave browser when I read that if you updated you would receive some free BAT. I updated and received the free BAT then when I returned to browser to do more research on how to use them I noticed that the balance was zero and the create wallet button was back but it is opaque and not clickable.

If I click on the brave payment tab it causes the entire browser to act buggy and If I get it to go to any other preference tab it will not return to the payment tab unless I restart the app.

OSX Seirra 10.12.6
Desktop Brave 0.19.123
( I have updated brave each time since the free BAT hoping that it would self correct with an update.)

screen grab of payment tab

Hi @Slacker

Do you have the backup words for your wallet? (don’t post them here, I just want to know if you have them)

Thanks,
Lauren

I do have them.

I deleted the app and hoped I could use the seed but upon reinstall it was no change with opaque wallet button. I am guessing I need to uninstall and find the files in the library that are left behind and remove them.

Here’s what I’d like you to try:

1. Close Brave.
  2. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support
  3. Make a copy of your brave folder (you can call it whatever you want, i like brave-backup but this is just a precaution)
  4. Open up a terminal
  5. copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

mkdir ~/brave-ledger-backup

1. then copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/brave/ledger* ~/brave-ledger-backup

1. then copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

LEDGER_VERBOSE=true /Applications/Brave.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave

1. Then Brave will open.
  2. You will see information in the terminal, I’d say let this run for 5-10 minutes (this is when your BAT wallet is being created - you may or may not see an animation at this point.)
  3. Close/Reopen Brave (you can use the command in step 7)
  4. You should be able to go to about:preferences#payments and hopefully your page will not be frozen. At this point you can click on the gear icon and restore your wallet using the backup words you have. Side note - one user tried this and had the terminal hang/Brave display white at this point. Closing/reopening Brave again resolved this.

If you could try this when you have time that would be great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Lauren

I followed and it hung. Brave opened and looked normal but in terminal it was froze with the prompt not returning so after 5-10 minutes Control-C to return prompt. I closed and reopened with no change. Payment tab still 0BAT and freezes.

I saved the terminal info starting with your step 1 up to it hanging. It showed a few errors but I am not sure If any of the info like payment ID has personal info with in it. It you would like it I can reply with a copy of what it showed.

Thank you for helping.

HI @Slacker

If you’d like to private message that information to me that would be helpful, I can certainly take a look and ask for help from other teammates if needed. If you put it in a .txt file, just add .mp4 on the end so the file can be uploaded.

Thanks,
Lauren

Was a solution found to this issue? I’m having the same problem with my payments/wallet. I just updated to Brave 0.19.147 and continue to have the same issue.

When I click on payments I see:

If I turn payments off, then back on I see: (image removed because I’m too too new post 2 images in one post?)

After clicking on payments, if I click to a different preference it will work. If I try to go back to payments the tab/option highlights (eg shows payments is selected) but the screen does not display and instead continues to display whatever preference I had selected previously. It will remain like this no matter which preference I choose until I close it out and open preferences again.

@butlermatt

Do you have the backup words for your wallet?

Lauren

I did look around, however I can’t seem to locate them anywhere. That said, I know the wallet was definitely empty and would not be devastating if I needed to create a new wallet.

Cool, if that’s the case just give me your OS and let’s get you fixed up with a fresh wallet.

Lauren

Sorry thought I had included it, it’s Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

Here are the instructions @butlermatt

1. Close Brave.
  2. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/
  3. Make a copy of your brave folder (you can call it whatever you want - I like brave-backup, this is just a precaution)
  4. Open up a terminal
  5. Copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

mkdir ~/brave-ledger-backup

1. Then copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/brave/ledger* ~/brave-ledger-backup

1. Then copy/paste this into the terminal and hit enter:

LEDGER_VERBOSE=true /Applications/Brave.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave

1. Then Brave will open.
  2. You will see information in the terminal, I’d say let this run for 5-10 minutes (this is when your BAT wallet is being created)
  3. Close/Reopen Brave (either manually reopen or you can use the command in step 7)
  4. You should be able to go to about:preferences#payments and open ‘Add Funds’ and see an address/QR code for each currency.
  5. Lastly, go to the gear icon to open Advanced Settings and back up your wallet. Keep these words somewhere safe in case your computer is lost, damaged, etc.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions.

Best,
Lauren

Before I could get the time to send you the terminal info another update corrected it. At some point it was like a new install so I restored my walled with the seed and all bat are restored.

Glad the issue was corrected for you @Slacker - thanks for reporting back!

Going to close this issue for now. Please open up a new thread if needed.

Best,
Lauren