Paste function not working from the keyboard

This issue still seems to be active (unpredictably), and there also seems to be a possibility (in my view) that it is a Brave issue.

My reasons for thinking that may be the case:

In Brave (Dev), the custom keys I created (to replace Cmd-v and Shift-Cmd-v) suddenly stop working and those features have to be accessed from the Edit dropdown menu. At some point (also unpredictably) they start working again.

In both Chrome and Safari the default keyboard shortcuts (i.e., Cmd-v and Shift-Cmd-v) work normally.

My conclusion is that Chrome and Safari for some reason don’t recognize my kb shortcuts (but since the default keys work that’s not a problem.)

In Brave, which does recognize my shortcuts, they stop working but then later come back. I seem to be able to coax them back into operation (at least some of the time) by going to another document & using them there or using them in a URL line instead of a document (Google Docs usually). After that they usually start working again where they had stopped working.

FWIW, this continues to be an issue. I’m still inclined to think that something about Brave is involved, since the problem – failure to paste content copied to the clipboard – isn’t active in Safari.

It may also be related to something about the way Google Docs works with Brave.

That said, I also believe the OS (Mac) is involved since I have similar issues with TextEdit and Chrome, but in those apps at least one available ‘paste’ option has worked. In Brave Dev I’ve experienced not being able to paste at all – i.e., neither the keystrokes or the Edit dropdown option worked.

And in the release version of Brave keystrokes aren’t operational at all (i.e., to ‘paste’), so I have to go to the Edit dropdown.

Most recently, when this happened I switched to Safari and the clipboard text copied normally (i.e., pasted into a Google Docs doc). I was then able to return to the same document in Brave Dev and it started working again.

It may be that there’s no solution here because apparently I’m the only Mac user reporting this.

LATER . . .

Now I’m getting ‘internal server error’ messages from Twitter when run for a Private TOR tab.
All normal in a Safari Private Window.

@Mattches, @mk7z, I don’t think this has been brought up, yet, but Google Documents imposes some keyboard shortcuts of its own, including Cmd-Shift-C for word count. Could it be a conflict between what GDocs tries to do, what the OS tries to do, and what the browser tries to do (Brave or Chrome)? I don’t see in GDocs preferences where the shortcuts can be turned off, but maybe there’s a way?

That said, on my MacBook Air 2015 running 10.14.3 my default paste and copy keyboard shortcuts (which are the same as what GDocs lists) work fine using Brave-Dev 0.63.4 Chromium: 73.0.3683.67 (Official Build) dev (64-bit).

1 Like

Thanks, there could be such conflicts but I’m just using either the standard (Cmd-v and Shift-Cmd-v) or, when those don’t work, my 4-key custom keys.

I think at this point I’ve seen every possible variation occur, from ‘no keys and no dropdown menu options working’ to ‘both defaults & my custom keys working.’

Most of the time my custom keys work in Dev (the default keys don’t) and neither the default nor my custom keys work in the standard release (I have to use the Edit dropdown menu to paste copied text, etc.)

@Mattches As I write this, I’m in Google Docs and unable to paste text I’ve copied.

No response with Cmd-v (or Shift-Cmd-v) or using my custom kb shortcuts.

No response from the Edit dropdown menu (‘Paste’ or ‘Paste & Match Style’) either.

Switch to TextEdit: no problem. The text pastes.

I go back to Brave and try pasting in the URL line (instead of in a document).

All 4 keystrokes work. So do the two ‘Edit’ menu options.

Back to the document. Nothing works.

Five minutes later I try again. Now my custom keys work in Google Docs again.

This is the pattern that keeps repeating. I can lose anywhere from one to all ‘Paste’ options and a little while later, one or more will start working again.

Nobel prize for he who figures out what the heck is going on.

@mk7z,
Try testing this on a different website outside of Google docs/sheets. One thing I notice is that your copy/paste function always seems to work on your machine and only ever has these issues after copy/paste function in docs is attempted.

For example, try staying off google docs/apps for some time (lets say 30mins as an example) but stay here on Community with an editor box open. Copy and paste in this box to your hearts content – does the paste function ever stop working? If

• No: Then this is likely a problem with the way google does it’s weird copy/paste function in web apps.

• Yes: Tell me more.

I just had the problem occur (in GDocs). Paste didn’t work with any option (default keys, my custom keys, Edit dropdown menu).

I came here (Brave editor). It worked.

I went back to my GDocs doc. Still didn’t work.

I accidentally moused the ‘Back’ button, then clicked ‘Forward’ to return to my doc.

I tried pasting (with my custom keys). It worked.

Does that sequence – particularly the last part – offer any clues?

Thanks.

UPDATE

Just happened again.

Text I had copied wouldn’t paste in a GDocs doc via any ‘paste’ method.

Here in the BRAVE message editor it pasted normally.

I then went back to the doc, where it still didn’t paste from the keyboard but did from the Edit menu ‘paste’ option.

Repeating the other ‘test’ I’ve mentioned – trying to paste into the URL line, ‘paste’ works by every method. That is, it works both from the default keystrokes and from my custom keystrokes, as well as from both Edit menu options (‘Paste’ and ‘Paste & Match Style’).

Google isn’t proactive in fixing many issues even within its own products. I doubt that if I reported this as a bug related to using GDocs in another browser (than Chrome) that it would get anything but a rote ‘unsupported browser’ response.

Another instance of ‘paste’ suddenly becoming unresponsive.

As I hit the keys for ‘Paste’ and ‘Paste and Match Style’ the ‘Edit’ at the top of the screen flashes.

The menu options are also inactive.

I switch to TextEdit. Paste works normally.

If this follows the usual pattern, the functions will return to normal at some point without my doing anything.

One thing I notice is that your copy/paste function always seems to work on your machine and only ever has these issues after copy/paste function in docs is attempted.

I’m not sure about that – it may be accurate, but I’ll have to make a point of watching how & when it occurs to be sure. I can say that I have no recollection of the problem occurring in Chrome when I used it exclusively, and I was using Google Docs in Chrome as much as I do now in Brave.

UPDATE … a few minutes later

What I’ve just done, that cleared the problem, was to copy some random text within the same GDocs doc I had been trying to paste into (unsuccessfully). When I pasted that text, it worked. When I then went back to the original text I wanted to paste (i.e., which was not in the same document), and re-copied it, it pasted normally, as the random text had.

One thing that seems noteworthy is that when I’ve used Dev and Standard together the behavior re this issue has always been different. E.g., in Dev when the keys for ‘paste’ stop working so do the Edit menu options. In Standard, the Edit menu options still worked. (Currently I’m just using Dev.)

I’m still thinking it’s the GDocs shortcuts code fighting with the Brave/OS/your custom shortcuts code. I’d expect it to work fine in Chrome because Chrome is done by Google, so they probably put code in there (maybe in the Docs Google App/extension thing) to deal with it.

Have you tried doing a refresh on the GDocs tab/window to see if that fixes it?

Thanks but my custom keystroke isn’t one that’s used by GDocs so I don’t see why that would be the case. It’s possible a custom keystroke preempts the default, but as I’ve stated in previous posts that seems to depend on where I am at the time I paste. E.g., in the URL line I can paste using both keystrokes and the Edit menu option and the copied text pastes.

A conflict with the default key also wouldn’t explain the different behavior in Dev compared to Standard.

It’s possible a webpage refresh would resolve the issue, but it’s abnormal to have to refresh a page to get a keyboard/menu option to work.

So far, the method I mentioned in a recent post is working (§) but that also isn’t something a user should have to do to have something like a simple ‘paste’ operation working normally.

(§)… i.e., copy & ‘paste’ within the same GDocs document and paste that… then delete that and re-copy the intended ‘paste’ content (from its location in a different window/tab) and try again.… so far that re-establishes normal ‘paste.’ (Even if don’t do anything, it comes back at some point.)

Agreed that it is weird that it’s happening at all, and sure, doesn’t explain why it works in one version and not another, and agreed that you shouldn’t have to refresh to get it to work. It was just an idea to try to pin down the cause a little.

IIRC, your custom command for “Paste & Match Style” is cmd-shift-V, which is Brave Dev’s default for the same function, but which is used in Docs for paste without formatting:
54%20PM 13%20PM

But again, the other releases of Brave also use the same shortcut for “Paste & Match Style,” so it’s still a puzzle as to why it works in one release but not the others. And as to why the regular paste command is affected. It’s just weird.

Custom keys I’ve been using are <Option-Cmd-forward slash> for ‘Paste’ and <Shift-Option-Cmd-forward slash> for ‘Paste and Match Style.’

OK, so much for that idea.

I’m going to give you a cigar anyway, for effort, next time I see you.

1 Like

This issue continues in an apparent stalemate. The ‘fix’ (kludge tho it is) always works. The sequence is:

1. With copied text in the clipboard, I navigate to a Google Docs document and find that no key/menu options to ‘paste’ the copied text work.

2. I copy text within the doc I’m trying to paste into (replacing what’s in the clipboard) and attempt to paste that instead.

3. The paste works.

4. At that point paste works normally again.

I can’t think what could be causing this except memory issues, given how many windows/tabs I usually have open at one time (e.g., up to 20 windows and 140-170 tabs). Others have expressed skepticism that this would be a memory issue, but other than that my computer use is ordinary in every way I can think of.

@mk7z,
A recording of this behavior in action would go a long way towards helping diagnose the issue. If interested, try and duplicate the recording I’ve taken below on your end so we can see a direct comparison between what the behavior is (on your end) and what it should be (my end – given that I don’t seem to have this issue):

I’m especially curious if you see the message at the end about Google Docs Copy/Paste functionality.

OK, looks like I’m going to have to learn yet another whatever.

I don’t know what showing a video of my pressing keys – which won’t/can’t be shown in the video – and nothing happening (i.e., no ‘paste’) at the insertion point will achieve, but what the heck.

I’m not blaming BRAVE for any of this. I don’t know what the cause is.

I do know that my custom keys work in BRAVE Dev but not in BRAVE Release (where I have to use the EDIT dropdown menu). Doesn’t seem to make any sense.

Also not sure what this “I’m especially curious if you see the message at the end about Google Docs Copy/Paste functionality” referred to –

Do you mean “Do I see it if I right-click while in a GDocs doc?” Yes.

I was at the Apple Store today, and the Genius, much to my surprise thinks all my issues, including the errant ‘v’ key, are all software-related.

Suggested coming back in to do a complete Erase-&-Install. I might have to try that.

Thanks.

Is the recording still of interest to you even though I won’t be able to record the crucial action of pressing keys to ‘paste’ text that then doesn’t paste?

That, after all, is the crux of the problem. The rest is irrelevant (it seems to me).

Thanks.

I can’t address interest in the recording, but if you display the Keyboard Viewer during recording, it will show key presses as seen in the demo recording at the end of this post. To get the Keyboard Viewer, go to System Preferences–>Keyboard and click on the Input Sources tab, then make sure the box for showing the Input Sources menu is checked. Once that’s up, pull down the Input Sources menu and select Show Keyboard Viewer. I have the other languages for Duolingo use. At the end of this post is an example of using the Keyboard Viewer in a recording started using the controls called by Shift-Cmd-5. (Click images to embiggen/call up gallery viewer which inexplicably seems to skip the menu image.)

16%20AM

I’m hoping @Mattches has a much simpler way to handle recordings, because as I typed all this out, it seemed like it would be daunting to someone new to it, but after you’ve done it once, it’s not that bad.

Update edit: Of course @Mattches does:

Once you call up controls with Shft-Cmd-5, check out the options. I like Capture Selected Portion and would have used the timer to limit recording to 10 sec. so I wouldn’t have to trim the recording. If you go long in the recording, you can edit by right-clicking or opening it in Quicktime Player (Trim…). The default format is .mov, so once you record the movie, right click the icon for it where you saved it and open in iTunes. (pic below) A new category shows up called “Home Videos” in which it’s stored. Select the movie there, then go to File–>Convert… and select Create iPod or iPhone version, drag it from the iTunes window to the desktop or some other place, and change its extension from .m4v to .mp4, then you can upload it to here like you would an image (drag to response, for example).
Pic of iTunes:

Promised video: