Passwords are cleared if one device on Sync-chain clears data on exit

Description of the issue: This is just a feedback-cum-feature request.

Brave clears data on sync-chain if one of the devices in sync-chain has Clear browsing data On exit enabled. This causes passwords being removed from all devices.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Add fews devices on Sync-chain
  2. Enable Clear data on exit in one of the Windows browser
  3. Notice passwords are cleared from every browser

Reproduces how often:
Everytime

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
Windows and Android

Additional Information:
I think it would be better if passwords remain in other devices where data is not cleared on exit. Passwords and other data get removed only on the device where Clear Data On Exit is enabled and passwords/bookmarks gets loaded when it restarts. @Mattches

@Aman_M,
While I’m not sure that the work required to make this specific request is reasonable at this point, I do see the potential for data loss (especially that of passwords) to be a reasonable concern. As such, I’ve opened a middle-ground issue here, wherein if the device is part of a Sync chain, we display a warning message, informing the user that clearing data “on exit” will also propagate to the other devices that are part of the Sync chain:

Additionally, to be clear, you can stop this behavior by simply toggling the Sync passwords option “off” in the browser where data is being cleared on exit.

1 Like

Ok cool.

I liked just not removing Passwords On exit, more. :wink: