Password lock / encrypt Brave Browser for security and privacy reasons

It is not that secure. It is possible to disable it using your browser task manager and the extension gets disabled.

1 Like

Hi all, I used “chrome lock” extension for both my brave and chrome. I am not sure how secure may be, however, it asks for an unlock code when I sign in to my user account

1 Like

Came here to say this.I use firefox for the same reason:it has a primary password and no one can login or use password requiring websites without the primary password.

This one single feature has been the last thing protecting me from switching as my laptop is used by other family members sometimes

2 Likes

We need a master password

4 Likes

Yes, I totally endorse the original post. Brave in MacOS should have its own password per Profile. Erasing all browsing history is not the solution because I want the Cookies to be stay.

2 Likes

My PC was infected. The malware export all my saved passwords to a cvs file even though my PC has a Windows login password.
Would be nice to have a second authentication procedure to allow password export.
Any synced section in more than one PC can be a weak point for this kind of threat.
It would be great marketing if Brave implements this before Chrome itself.

1 Like

Yes! This (Master Password to lock entire browser) is absolutely must have and should be as soon as possible…
Anyone who require this, please leave you mark at the issue on GitHub’s Brave Browser project page here:
[Feature Request] Master password for Brave desktop versions #13350

1 Like

I second the original suggestion. Please consider introducing the Master Password that would allow you to lock your stored passwords. It shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to implement such a feature and it would increase the overall security significantly.

A must-have feature, without it, I’m still not using Brave 100% although, I love this browser so much 1 <3

I really don’t know why people keep going to Necro some of these posts and why people don’t search for similar topics first. Anyway…it’s something to be released and that has been acknowledged

3 Likes

Don’t store your password in a Browser" Allways use a password manager with a master password. That way you can make sure that noone you don’t want have access to it.

As for you bookmarks I don’t know why their so valuable to you. It’s just a shortcut.

To get rid of your sensitive data when you leave your PC, I would also suggest delete your Browsing data, cookies etc. on Exit in settings.

Definitely upvoting this post, id like this feature added as most urgent one. I have my own password manager software, however sometimes i dont usually log out of my website because its very tedious to log back in again, take web.whatsapp.com as an example; it doesnt require a password to log in but if i had to log out every time im not using it, everytime i want to use it, id need my phone again to scan the qr code to sign back in… if there was a master lock, before initiating the browser, everything would be easier, just like in case i dont insert the password, the browser would be opening like an incognito and if the user opens web.whatsapp my account wouldnt show, but if i did insert the password, then when i open web.whatsapp my saved account would be opened.

1 Like

This needs to be standard in chrome and every browser. As a Cyber Sec. Engineer in training I keep my eyes on threats and we have a new type of Malware that steals passwords from browsers and gather passwords, credit cards, other autofill data, computer configuration and software info, 2FA data and backup codes, and a lot more and send it back as a compressed file.

One example of this is called Erbium and showed up Aug. 2022. There is a response of someone here who was hacked by a version of this so it is relevant to the community.

Please search these terms " Erbium Stealer Malware Report Executive Summary " by Cyfirma only if you can’t find it then use the url below. Remember not to click links online; instead find the organization independently through trusted channels when possible. Though I think this is important enough that people need to know URL: https://www.cyfirma.com/outofband/erbium-stealer-malware-report/

I do not know where this wish is but a master password at the start of the browser would be a minimum to protect access to passwords and credit card information saved in Brave.

And if possible, communicate about this important feature.

I am also interested in having this feature. But I don’t think a master password for entire brave browser will be a feasible option for people who share their browsers with family. Instead password locking the password managers, personal bookmarks and confidential sites such as your email clients will be the best option. And also I love the feature of brave profiles. For people definitely want to lock their brave browser and personalize their experience. I would suggest to make a feature to password lock by their profile.

I never reply on forms but I agree with the original post, I don’t save passwords on my browser but this seems like a pretty important and popular request. I would probably guess the standard user starts out saving their passwords on a browser and having an extra layer of security would be amazing. But once again I’m reading another issue or topic with minimal response (sometimes yrs after) or a brief reply sometimes not directed at the request or statement.
I looked at the feature request that i think was opened in dec 2020 and it seems its still a very popular request that doesn’t look promising. Maybe one day they will get there but I definitely feel it’s worth putting a response on this post.
I didn’t do much research but it seems like Brave is behind the game in what i feel should be a Standard security feature.

I also agree with the posted comment on the feature request below
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/13350#issuecomment-1344517693

I share my pc with other members of my home, they know the windows password. I just want a password for the browser, specifically.

I don’t typically comment on forums either but joined just to ask Brave to please make this happen.

i too would like this feature

Brain is the Solution, If you Never want someone to see your info, the only place which you should trust is your Brain.

For Passwords → Sitename + Favorite xyz (Favorite xyz is what you like the most and others are not aware of it, you can follow this simple approach for all sites, Sites which are important will stay in your brain, if you are afraid about forgetting something and has actually ended up forgetting it , then those sites are not important)

Use Guest mode or create a new profile for engaging in a browser activity that you dont want others to see and set up clear all data on Exit.

and For bookmarks, there are several session Managers available in the chrome web Store, open all of your bookmarks in one window, and save all those opened bookmark tabs as an session in the cloud based session manager, delete all of your bookmarks(After Exporting and Storing it on Mega,nz) and Log out of that Extensions whenever your session is finished.