Option to show and hide the sidebar

Please include a button to show and hide the sidebar, its annoying to accidentally hovering it and changing the webpage size. Or maybe create an option where the sidebar would just float and not interfere with the webpage

Have you tried right clicking on it?

Have you tried changing your settings?

brave://settings/appearance

its has only always show which you cant manually hide it. While on mousehover you can but it can be annoying when i accidentally hovering. And i dont want to hide it as i rely on the sidebar most of the time

1 Like

but maybe, in a recent post i read, there will be a new sidebar update and maybe they’ve included that

1 Like

my settings are already on never and won’t even let me change it to anything else, but the sidebar is not only STILL THERE, it actually blocks my ability to interact with certain webpages. Under settings, I can’t change it, neither if I right-click on the sidebar itself

If you go to Settings —> Appearance --> Sidebar, you’ll see the following options:
The first option with the drop down dictates the default Sidebar behavior, which allows you to show the sidebar:

• Always (it’s always visible)
  • On mouseover (only appears if you hover over the sidebar area)
  • Never (sidebar never shows unless explicitly enabled via shortcut or sidebar button)

@Broccoli1,
Can you please elaborate on the exact situation you’re seeing? You’re saying that you have this option set to Never but it still always appears? If so, what happens when you click the sidebar button (more on this below)?

The second toggle option here allows you to display or hide the sidebar button on the toolbar. With this option toggled “on” (orange), you should see a sidebar button here:

Clicking this button will display or hide the sidebar. I believe that this is what OP was initially asking for.

The last two options decide which side of the browser the sidebar will appear on.

Lastly, there is a built in keyboard shortcut to display/hide the sidebar — on Windows and Linux it will be Ctrl + B and Command + B on macOS.

Mine also. I did have it set to show “on hover”, which worked, but then I actually launched bookmark manager in it and then used Leo and it was fine, except, when I was finished, I wanted to close those things and have it hide again, but there is no option to do that.

Not only is the sidebar constantly shown, but so too is the bookmark manager, Leo or whatever I last used in it and there is no way to close any of it.

In desperation, to recover the lost 3 inches of space, I right clicked on the sidebar and changed it to show, “never”. But it makes no difference.

Issue 2
Like the OP mentioned, it’s also annoying when set to show “on hover” and each time it appears, the page resizes instead of it floating over the page. It should only resize the page if set to show always or after an option (like bookmarks or Leo, etc.) is launched.

UPDATE
I just checked the option to have the sidebar button show on the toolbar (even though it should not be needed with the sidebar set to only show on hover), but now at least if I had displayed my bookmarks or used Leo in the sidebar, I can now close them again using that button.

It’s not ideal, the whole panel and sidebar should disappear upon mouse-off event, unless pinned (pinning option doesn’t exist though).

Note that only when pinned, is when the page should be sized, otherwise the panel should be floating over the page. This follows the logic of most other applications.