Opening ANY Washington Post link causes Brave to crash

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

**Description of the issue:**Opening a link to any Washington Post story causes Brave to crash with no error message–just goes away. Restarting Brave with ‘last pages’ causes another crash. Opening Home pages dpoes nopt

Exact URL of the website in question: Any s2.washingtonpost.com

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no) No

**Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?**N/A

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome? Yes

**Brave version (check About Brave):**Version 0.70.122 Chromium: 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@Nerd,
The site s2.washingtonpost.com does not lead to anything for me. I’m able to visit https://washingtonpost.com, however, without any issue.

Can you try in private mode? @Nerd

Thanks for the response. I think the issue has something to do with ‘cross site tracking’. I don’t block cross-site tracking, and I can see the site with no issue. I block it, and Brave crashes. The solution seems to be either allow cross-site tracking everywhere, or not go to the WaPo website. I’m opting for not going to the WaPo web site

@Nerd,
Note that you don’t have to allow cross-site tracking everywhere – if you visit a website (like wapo) and open the Shields panel in the address bar, the settings you configure there apply to the site-level – no globally. So the changes will only reflect on WaPo, not across all websites. More on site-specific Shields vs Global Shields settings.

Wadda ya know—seems to work like a champ. Globally, cross site scripts on; on WaPo sites, off. Thanks

1 Like