Only one tab view option?

Yes, try to revert back that tab layout, or make something new, something fresh, which makes one handed tab operations fast.

3 Likes

something like thisā€¦the best layout out there in my opinion.

3 Likes

This was literally the only reason I switched to Brave from Chrome. Itā€™s a nightmare to use the grid layout singlehandedly and the groups are just a general annoyance IMO. Really hope Brave can implement something to revert the tab layout.

5 Likes

Maybe, this tab layout suits one, but I donā€™t like this tab layout, in my opinion previous tab layout was the best.

1 Like

yes, Personal preferences variesā€¦ lets see what happens with the layout in the near future.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I count myself among those who found this issue a deciding factor when switching to Brave in the first place. Itā€™ll also be a deciding factor on whether or not I stay with Brave on my mobile phone. For now Iā€™ve downgraded to a past beta. If this feature isnā€™t re-implemented in some form, I may have to (ironically) move away from the secure browser to maintain a secure browser.

3 Likes

So I switched back to an older version of Brave that still allows the stacked view. a little worried though that it will ā€œupdateā€ to the new crappy version with the grid layout. Does anyone know how to turn off the upgrade feature?

Can you tell which version number

Hello @stevep38now

open play store then go for brave page on play store in the upper right corner there 3 vertical dots click on it then uncheck enable auto update

by the way this will not update your browser which would make you vanurable to security issue the get fixed for new version and also would face bugs that get fixed in later release

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

The flag options change nothing, there is no setting in appearance, please bring option to turn of grouped tabs. Grouped are smaller and itā€™s hard enough to read the labels.

check this one

Itā€™s not a perfect workaround, but I was able to get my vertical tabs back by downloading Brave beta in Chromium 98, then disabling auto updates! While Iā€™m not sure how stable this beta version will be in the long run without updates, it works fine for now.

A quick walkthrough of what I did, with pictures in case those are helpful for anyone:

1. Open the Github pre-release page for Brave Beta in Chromium 98, aka Beta v1.36.104 (Chromium 98.0.4758.109) in a browser app.
    Full text link: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.36.104

1. In your phoneā€™s settings, go to Apps > Special Access > Install Unknown Apps.

1. Select the browser you plan to install the beta app from, then turn on ā€œAllow from this source.ā€

1. Return to the Brave beta Github page and scroll to Assets. Since they recommend the APK format for Android users, I chose ā€œBravearm.apkā€ Click on your desired file to download it.

1. Once the APK is downloaded, you can either tap the Brave download notification or open it with a file manager. If installation doesnā€™t start automatically, look for a box that should pop up on your screen. Hit ā€œInstallā€ to complete the beta app installation.

2. In the Google Play Store, click on your profile picture in the upper right hand corner, then go to Manage Apps & Device > Manage. Find Brave Beta in your list of installed apps, and click on it.

1. Tap the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner. Make sure to uncheck the Enable Auto Updates box, as most apps will auto update by default. Since youā€™ve downloaded an older version of the app, I recommend doing this ASAP to avoid being forced to use tab groups.

1. Enjoy your vertical/stacked tabs in the Brave beta app! :tada:

3 Likes

As commented on Github ā€¦ Grid view has minimalistic information on view (2 to 3 words from the title + ant writing); needs clumsy two-handed selection on a phone to reach the top tabs. Hope you bring back the option to select Stacked view.

1 Like

@justsomeone1 ,

Originally, I did not see info at GitHub, such as the following, that I finally stumbled across:

ā€œhttps://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/21556#issuecomment-1067224433ā€

Where ā€œbscliftonā€ wrote:

"Thanks for the feedback folks - weā€™re discussing internally. There unfortunately isnā€™t just a flag and weā€™d need to keep and maintain a bunch of patches to keep this functionality (and each Chromium upgrade weā€™d need to maintain those patches)

Weā€™ll share once we have more information. Thanks for your patience"

ā€“

3 Likes

and here are the latest post by bsclifton

Quick update - we're working through the evaluation effort now. The commit removing this in Chromium can be seen here chromium/chromium@94a231f (here's a link to the Chromium CL)

It may take several days to work through this (we'll need to re-home portions of this code and find clean ways to patch it in). We'll keep you all updated

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.