One Main & lighter version of Brave downloadable for multiple machines/PCs

It may sound silly but I was thinking, why is Brave continuing to promote itself as one of the leaders attempting to preserve the rights of citizen individualistically and not for the broader spectrum.

The reason I created this topic is because I’m hoping to create something in the near future and I would very much like to use Brave over Chrome as currently I suspect Chrome is usually set as a default browser by IT technicians all over the world for schools, organisations and SMBs (Small to Medium Businesses) only because it’s loud and easy to install across the board. So it would be brilliant if you could devise an Office Browser Solution which is modified or can be modified.

The modification (the lighter version) would essentially make it lighter and take off any unnecessary features/settings set by the IT technician.

This is not so employees can be monitored but so settings, all the ‘about:preferences’ can be identical across the board which is set by the IT technician and so updates don’t disrupt workflow.

Another benefiting factor to this would be the fact of the browser being much lighter with ‘about:preferences#payments’ ‘about:preferences#sync’ and possibly a couple of other feature/settings not available as well as making some feature such as required extensions available.

I understand that Payments is one of Brave’s main USP (Unique Selling Point), I was just stating that the payments option can be removed from the lighter installations, however, the Payments feature remaining on the Main installation which in turn accumulates all the visits to pay necessary advertisers if a company, other SMBs and educational institutions wish to do so (obviously set by Ad Control).

Arguably their are tens of millions of offices around the world whereby all of those employees just simply require a search engine to access simple websites and Chrome is unnecessarily being installed on the majority of those machines when most of it’s features would go unused and why do technicians in schools install Chrome when I suspect certain things are blocked and not accessible?

It would be nice to see it written in https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/wiki/Brave-Development-Timeline if you do consider it and I think it goes without saying it would be best to include it within 1.2 / “Future” when all essential features and necessary bugs are completely fixed.

The following links are the closest to the topic I can find but I don’t think they’re identical to my suggestion.

One final point, do you think the team could at the later stage or because of this suggestion contemplate developing a proprietary Brave extension, actually in ‘about:preferences#extensions’ that could remotely and securely communicate offline/online for the topics suggestion.

I’d really like to discuss this further if you think it’s a viable option. Thanks for reading.

Really appreciate the suggestion @Numpty. It’s a solid one, and we have definitely gone rounds internally re: enterprise options for Brave.

We have even gone as far as exploratory discussions with potential enterprise partners in the past.

We think it would be cool, and I’d personally echo the reasoning as you laid out.

Here is the problem that we ultimately have reached every time this has been explored:

The enterprise sale process sucks, especially with the metabolism and pace required for a startup.

• Sales software purchasing process is typically a quarterly process (way long for startup pacing), sometimes longer. You’re at the mercy of commercial sales planning/budgets process.

• Enterprise purchasing tends to require an internal audit and integration process, including some form of training and compliance process in certain use cases. This can be like sand in the gears, or sugar in the gas tank.

• To make it work at an enterprise level, we’d basically have to split resources which would impact our more immediate commitments. A browser alone is a lot of work. Having a browser across platforms, even more so. Including a utility token platform (BAT) is an additional commitment. At this phase another resource split would be tough.

• The last challenge is around support resources. Enterprise customers typically require a higher demand on support resources, and expect fast turnaround time on support tickets (I used to do a level two support, it can be really demanding). While we could staff up or outsource, it would take time and focus away from the core product.

All of that said, we definitely keep an ear to the ground on the enterprise opportunity side if there are cases that make sense for accelerated entry. We aren’t the type to say never when it comes to opportunities; this just falls more into distant future scope.

I also would say with some confidence that as the company grows, we are probably going to be in a better position to tackle enterprise offerings and support. I don’t expect we would roadmap it at this stage, but it’s something that we keep in mind and discuss from time to time.

I hope this is helpful. I wanted to put some time in on this response to help shape the context a bit, especially given how detailed and thought out your post on this was. We definitely appreciate that we’re lucky enough to have contributors thinking about the browser at the level you are, and I hope this doesn’t discourage from future brainstorming.

Luke

A Call for Brenden Eich and Jon von Tetzchner to meet & discuss whatever :)