One-Click White-Listing/Recommended Settings for Trusted Sites

It’s very easy to end up with settings for the browser in Desktop and Mobile modes that make the user experience on favored sites sub-optimal, and relatively to difficult to access or fully understand, even for developer-level users, how to enable the desired ones.

On WordPress sites (my main interest), I somehow ended up with a default that prevented third-party graphic images from very widely used sources from showing up: “Gravatar” images were blank, Twitter-share SVG images were also blank. The result was a poor layout with sub-optimal functionality. Figuring out how to handle the problem is especially difficult on the Android browser…

It would be nice if Brave itself offered users a simple one- or few-clicks option for adopting and remember recommended settings for trusted sites - maybe even a first-visit pop-up. If it must remain more or less deeply buried in settings, it would be a boon to developers who want to work with Brave if a simple tool was made available: I’d be able to write a script that would detect Brave, and print a one-click “Apply Recommended Settings” button for Brave Users.

If the tools for accessing the Brave API with such a script are readily available, please let me know where to look, and I’ll take a flyer or two at the problem myself!

Do you tend to use the Shield menu (lion icon in the upper-right corner) for changing per-site settings?

Also, on desktop, do you tend to use one of the filters on about:adblock?

To answer your questions: No and no.

To be more specific, the exact purpose and function of “Brave Shields” were not clear to me when I first installed, or even that there was any purpose to the handsome lion icon.

Just referring to mobile for the moment, based on experience with other browsers - whose UIs also, of course, vary in friendliness - I (wrongly) expected everything or everything I should care about to be accessible somewhere via “Settings.” Since “Settings” is near the very bottom of the drop-down menu on Android, it is actually concealed from view until a further scroll down, and then there’s no way (that I’ve found) to access the per-site settings from it.

As"typical user who’d rather not be bothered," I’d be very tempted to give up on the browser at that point. If I didn’t give up, and then either did find and click on Brave Shields or decide to work with global settings, I’d then have to figure out what the different choices available meant in theory and practice.

To return to the prior point, I think if you’re going to separate one type of critical “settings” from other “settings,” then it would be better UI to accept some redundancy here: The user who, like me, didn’t assume the Lion had anything critical to offer (or was even interactive), might encounter it again in the dropdown menu or further within, and at least get a clue that tapping it in the top menu might be worth a try, too.

On Desktop (Windows), the sequence is different, but, regardless of subtle UI changes, as a developer/designer who wants my sites to look and work their best for anyone who happens by, or as often as possible, I’d prefer an easy way for them to “fix” the problems they encounter, including the ones they may not be even aware they’re encountering.

So, I believe that I could already install a PHP script to detect Brave - not JS, because for all I know they have disabled it, too, in an abundance of pointless caution (unless I could also detect whether JS was blocked) - and produce a “Hey, Brave users, this site will look and work better if you…” message. If I have to do that, it would be better if I could also give them a convenient on/off switch for putting their Brave Shield down. (And I might also throw in a pitch for putting my site on the Brave subscription list.)

I could go on. I’ll just say for now that what will look to many users like the most desirable reasonable settings will tend to ruin or mar a large number of “normal” WordPress sites. Why would a user ever expect that Gravatar and Add to Any (social sharing) would be interpreted as “Ads” and blocked without a trace by ad-blocking? I think they’d be more likely to switch on ad-blocking, then visit my sites and think it was too bad my design was screwed up. They might also wonder why I hadn’t enabled social sharing, since the usual icons were absent.