Old PSA, no longer in effect, though still informative

If in fact it is the case that Brave is flagging accounts due to VPN they need to stop that. Everyone in crypto and everyone who remotely knows about cybersecurity issues knows they need to use a VPN so that isn’t a sufficient reason to flag an account. Brave needs to adjust whatever restrictions its placing on accounts just because of using a VPN. There’s got to be a better way of flagging. It is entirely too pervasive and clear Brave is experiencing issues paying out rewards. Nothing has changed on many users ends I didn’t just start using a VPN. So the explanation for the lack of payout has got to be a tightening of restrictions or something else. Either way its unproductive and making Brave look like it’s being dishonest.

It’s not. People have been making a lot of assumptions and tossing things out on this forum without any knowledge. Just as you’ll often see posts where people post Logs from brave://rewards-internals and try to interpret what it means.

When VPN has been discussed before, it has been made clear that using a VPN needs to match the Locale on your device. So when using VPN, use it to spoof your region IF you want ads. Otherwise for that duration, turn off ads. (they didn’t say that latter part, but I am.). The reason why your Locale and IP needs to match the region has been stated to us, as it’s their legal obligation based on those paying for ads as well as government requirements.

Of course, the biggest issue has been people who are spoofing their location to try to increase the amount of ads they get. I’ve even seen it discussed on Reddit and other places about how people share that they are in regions that ARE NOT supported by ads, but then they want to use a VPN to pretend they are in an ad supported region. That is a blatant attempt to circumnavigate the Terms of Use, which is stated below.

Private ads are only available in certain regions, which we may change from time to time. If you’re not in one of these regions, ads will not be available in Brave Rewards for you. You may not make any attempt to view ads not intended for your region. You’ll only see ads if there are ads in the catalog which match your Brave Rewards profile. For this reason, we don’t guarantee that there will be ads available for you, even if private ads are available in your region.

You’ll notice there it says You may not make any attempt to view ads not intended for your region.

So is VPN what’s causing people to be flagged? That’s kind of a question with double answers. Sure, it’s a contributing factor but what is causing them to be flagged is their attempts to bypass the restrictions they agreed to. Then in perhaps many cases, people just choose not to read and then go spoofing all over the place and ads get frozen when their info doesn’t match, as the system sees it as suspicious behavior. When users contact Brave staff during those periods, staff looks to see if things appear intentional or there are other concerns. If it all pans out, they approve it again but then it still goes back to users needing to do what’s right.

I hesitate on that. Sure, I’m going to be that a lot of innocent people are getting caught in the net. But I’ve already seen a lot of people talking in various places about how they are manipulating services. Some by cloning wallets on multiple devices, others through trying to hold BAT farms, etc.

Then there’s also people going in and editing files and everything. Again back to those Terms of Use I linked to:

10. Prohibited Conduct

While using or accessing our Services, you will not:

• (a) violate any applicable law, contract, intellectual property or other third-party right or commit a tort;
  • (b) engage in, encourage or promote any activity that violates these Terms;
  • (c) attempt to circumvent any content-limiting techniques we employ;
  • (d) develop or use any non-Brave scripts or applications designed to scrape, or extract data from the Services;
  • (e) use the Services in any manner that could interfere with, disrupt, negatively affect or inhibit other users from utilizing the Services or that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the functioning of the Services in any manner;
  • (f) use the Services for benchmarking purposes or for the purpose of developing a competitive product; or
  • (g) manipulate, or attempt to manipulate, the Services in any way.

That last one plays a big role. Yet I’ve seen people even here on Brave Communities talk of how they were trying to manipulate the data within and then wondering why they couldn’t access their wallets anymore. Even some have been searching to try to find WHERE in the data it tracks BAT earned and then try to adjust it to scam out Rewards.

What I will say is I’ve mentioned to @luke.mulks others that they do need to get more people here. It’s crazy that they don’t have Support staff on the forums during the weekends, at least not regularly. It also seems silly they only have 2-3 people to handle the thousands of posts and messages they get each day with issues. Then to top it all off, there’s not really any ticketing for us to know when things are being handled. You write a message or post on the forum with information, but then don’t know if it’s been seen. Or even once seen and things are being worked on, to be notified about progress being made and to realize you’re not forgotten, as some have gone weeks with no responses.

1 Like

I receive BAT daily but when it is suposed to be transferred to my Uphold account it does not do that. 2 months straight I have not received BAT to my Uphold wallet, even though I see notification that BAT will be transferred and then I see success message that it transfer was successful. Notifications you descriebed are coming however BAT does not.

This happens on both Windows computer and Mac laptop.

I checked logs, I can see this :

[Feb 14, 2022, 8:47:42.0 AM:ERROR:credentials_promotion.cc(503)] Token list empty
[Feb 14, 2022, 8:47:42.0 AM:ERROR:uphold_wallet.cc(330)] Transferring tokens failed!

@usanzadunje payouts aren’t complete yet. Uphold has been pending.

You can also track at https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/

In any case, it won’t hurt to message one of the admin, such as Mattches or Steeven. Include your wallet info from Brave://rewards-internals along with a description of your issue.

1 Like

why does it take so long to complete payouts?

@Sonit It doesn’t always but there are occasions. It can sometimes be due to errors in the system on Brave that need extra time and attention, it can be servers that drop and need maintenance, a congested ethereum network, etc.

For example, back in 2019:

The Ethereum network has become so jammed up lately that many transactions are taking hours – with occasional ones even taking days.

The network has been hovering at, or near, capacity for some time.

Yet as to what’s going on with existing payments, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. It’s likely a combination of a lot of factors.

I see that my BATs appear but they have not been deposited in my Uphold wallet since October

None of what you’ve stated applies. I’m still waiting for a response to fix payouts. Brave declares they’ve issued all payments to Gemini and they have not. I want to know why Brave is announcing they’ve paid out when they haven’t. I already have had prior months rectified with no explanation. Either way I would like a resolution to the lack of payments Brave made for the month of January which was supposedly issued on 2/9. Anything other than a resolution is wasteful. Nothing you’ve stated applies. I’m in Chicago my browser is for Chicago. Once in a while I MUST change it because sometimes the location does not work. Flagging should be something that is an exceptional thing not a common thing whereby an abundance of individuals aren’t being paid. But once again, a resolution and an actual payout would be much appreciated. If there’s been a violation state that as a reason for lack of payment. However, I doubt that is the case. Until then I will not be clicking on anymore ads. I’m not being exposed to them because I enjoy them. I’m clicking on them so I earn BAT.

@BATaccumulator It is/was true. As I stated, it doesn’t always work.

Then today I made a post after having a discussion with Steeven and Mattches, not to mention me watching how things work here at Brave Community. If you didn’t see it yet, check out Still no payout? read this before posting

1 Like

Already have. It’s been 5 days. my message has been viewed 3x’s with no response. Last time it got resolved not because this platform was responsive but because twitter was more effective at responding real-time

You don’t get BAT for clicking ads. They only have to appear. So notifications on your device that show will automatically give you BAT. Opening a New Tab and possibly one of the ads show there, you get BAT. You never have to click or in any other way interact with them.

And yes, it’s all annoying. Gemini had issues the other day, Uphold took longer than usual to payout, and they don’t employ enough people for Support to be able to quickly and efficiently handle all the issues we have here. It’s primarily two people doing it all while also handling all the other stuff besides payments. They do get around to it and fix issues, but it can take forever. It’s crazy and I know when you’re affected, it sucks.

Yeah, different employees in different places. Like @chriscat tends not to be here on Brave Community much but he is highly active on r/BATProject and r/brave_browser on Reddit. Of the two, he primarily does r/BATProject. So he’ll have people message him with wallet info and all as well to resolve.

Hello,

How can I find out if my account has been flagged?

Thank you

@Prorogue Only way is to send a DM to Steeven or Mattches with your Wallet Info from brave://rewards-internals.

If you’ve been flagged, you won’t be earning any BAT and may even not be seeing ads.

All payouts should be done, but I still did not get it. As I said 2-3 months no rewards sent to wallet.

I contacted one of people you suggested but no answer. What else can I do?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: You say to send info from brave://rewards-internals, do you mean full log file or what?

EDIT2: I keep getting these messages in logs :

[Feb 19, 2022, 10:38:26.8 AM:ERROR:logging_util.cc(105)] Network error (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)
[Feb 19, 2022, 10:38:26.8 AM:ERROR:get_card.cc(44)] Unexpected HTTP status: -1
[Feb 19, 2022, 10:38:26.8 AM:ERROR:uphold.cc(152)] Couldn't get balance
[Feb 19, 2022, 10:38:26.8 AM:ERROR:wallet_balance.cc(150)] Can't get uphold balance

@usanzadunje

I’m not sure who you contacted or when, but if it’s been a while, feel free to tag them here or message again. I’d also message the other as well. So if you sent to Steeven, also include Mattches on it. They try to go through and not miss people,. but sometimes as lots of messages and tags come through, it can slip through.

I know one of your posts was back around February 14, so been about a week IF you sent the message the same day. If you sent sometime after, then still hadn’t been much time given.

No, when you go there, you’ll see a tab that says General Info. It then has a portion that says Wallet Info, which includes things like your Wallet Payment ID and shows when the wallet was created. That’s the information they need.

They advise that logs aren’t intended for us and they don’t get into it often. When we see things like “can’t get uphold balance” and all, it makes it seem like you’re not connected to Uphold at that time or there was a connection error. But again, only @Mattches, @steeven , and maybe @SaltyBanana would be able to assist. They likely won’t ask you for your logs but only for your Wallet Info and then they will view things from their servers to try to identify issues. I’ll also advise now they won’t tell you what everything means. They just will work to fix issues if it’s a problem that can be fixed.

Also want to show, I had made a new post with more info and discussion with people at Still no payout? read this before posting

1 Like

Thanks for help. I sent same day. I will message other guy as well and provide info needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.