Old passwords not displaying in Brave, viewable in "Login Data" file

Description of the issue: Brave updated to 1.29.76, all ~80 passwords that used to be visible in brave://settings/passwords are suddenly gone. Isn’t fixed by updating to 1.29.77.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Update Brave to >=1.29.76
  2. Go to brave://settings/passwords

Expected result:
All previously saved passwords are visible on the password settings page.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.29.77 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63
Additional Information:
This has happened before to me as well and I think it fixed itself that time after a week or two. Regardless, at this point it’s become more of an annoyance which makes me not want to update so that I don’t face any similar issues.
Scouring the internet a bit, I found that the old logins should be stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Login Data, which thankfully they are.

1 Like

Were you able to recover your saved passwords from Login Data file?

1 Like

I don’t know how to do that. I thought that the passwords are encrypted so they couldn’t be exported as a .csv and imported into Brave.

All my old usernames/login sites are still intact in the table though.

1 Like

I don’t think there is a direct method. There is this open source tool on github- https://github.com/moonD4rk/HackBrowserData. But this could be risky, I’m not sure and will require Windows Security to be turned off. You can try in an isolated machine, if you find no other option.

Since passwords are there in Login Data file but still not visible in brave://settings/passwords, I’m wondering do you have Sync enabled?

Maybe @Mattches can give insights if there is a way to recover passwords from Login Data file. I just read that it might only contain username and not passwords.

1 Like

Nope, haven’t tried it.

1 Like

A .csv file isn’t an encrypted file. Its same as an excel file…

Is the file you found same as an excel file?
If yes, just copy that file to Desktop or somewhere and just try to import it into the browser.

No, it’s a file without any extension:

I can open it up in SQLite DB Browser, which reveals a database in which I can see my usernames, and the passwords replaced with the word “BLOB” in the table “logins”.

Umm that is pretty weird.

I recommend you to wait for an update.

But if you want to try, install Chrome Browser and they too must have a similar Passwords folder like the one in Brave. And then copy this file over to the one in Chrome and see if the passwords are viewable in Chrome, if yes just create a csv file using Chrome and import them into Brave!

@kilacoda,
This may seem like kind of a silly question but can you confirm that you’re not using a different browsing profile than you typically do?

I used to use 2 profiles, but after the update I think I’m not really in a profile since I don’t get the usual icon in the top right corner of the window, and the only option available to me in the hamburger menu regarding profiles is to create a new one. I can still see a Profile 2 folder though in User Data whose Login Data file contains the few passwords it contained:

@kilacoda,
Can you try clicking the Create new profile option in the main menu, then click the little Back arrow on the top-left of the new profile window (shown below)? It should take you to the Profile manager where you can see any profiles created in the browser.

Only shows “Profile 1” there.

@kilacoda,
And this profile does not contain the data you’re looking for? Either way, when you click more options (three dots icon) and then Delete, does seem to show the proper amount of information saved within the profile (note that you do not actually have to delete this profile, this is just to display that screen):

Hmm… seems like it has all my browsing history, bookmarks and autofill data (?) but only has the 9 passwords that I saved after this issue started (for work purposes, immediate requirements etc.). So I guess the issue is just related to Brave not being able to retrieve the passwords instead of a general profile data loss issue?

Hello, any updates on this?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.