NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

Is chromium based. Then build your own?

Hello,

Today suddenly and for no reason I lost all my passwords from brave browser.
Can you tell me please what is going on? I have saved all my passwords.
I never clean passwords or something else, and I have the latest version. Is there a backup on regedit or somewhere else?

Thanks

UPDATE: My missing password issue appears to be fixed after installing Brave Version 1.51.118 Chromium: 113.0.5672.126 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Today I updated to opensuse:tumbleweed:20230515 which included Brave 1.51.118. After installation, my hidden passwords became visible again and the Brave password manager appears to functioning as it did before version 1.51.110.

Thanks to all those who helped document, investigate, and resolve this issue.

EDIT: added additional info
I don’t know if it is relevant, but I should have mentioned that brave-keyring was also updated to version 1.11-1:

2023-05-17 12:51:45|install|brave-keyring|1.11-1|noarch||brave-browser|aa84…66cf|
2023-05-17 12:51:51|install|brave-browser|1.51.118-1|x86_64||brave-browser|6d2f…c508|

Unfortunately with my case it did not worked

Did you update from OpenSUSE’s repo?

Welp same thing happened to me, after updating to latest version overnight.
Every login/password/extensions just gone, very annoying

Using Windows 10
running Version 1.51.118 Chromium: 113.0.5672.126 (Build officiel) (64 bits) now, loss occured after restarting system
Login/password/cookies/extensions gone
not using a PW manager or brave sync

Good question. I will describe how I installed and update brave on this PC.

I installed in August 2022 using the then current installation instructions from https://brave.com/linux/ :

sudo zypper install curl

sudo rpm --import https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc

sudo zypper addrepo --refresh https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/ brave-browser

sudo zypper install brave-browser

I use the command ‘sudo zypper dup’ to update this PC. When I do this, Brave should update from the “brave-browser” repo.

Below are the relevant repos configured:

#  | Alias                            | Name                       | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | URI
---+----------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+-------------------------------------------------------
 1 | brave-browser                    | brave-browser              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/
 3 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss    | Main Repository (NON-OSS)  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/
 4 | download.opensuse.org-oss        | Main Repository (OSS)      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
 5 | download.opensuse.org-tumbleweed | Main Update Repository     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/

Still having problems even after the latest update
I’m running Arch Linux with KDE
As far as I can tell in my case it’s a problem related to KWallet
I’ve run into this issue at least twice now, it seems that deleting Brave’s KWallet entry temporarily solves the problem.

Do you by any chance use biometrics (e.g., fingerprint) or PIN to unlock the device?

Fixed for me as well. Updated to 1.51.118 through the Manjaro Repo.

I have still the problem, any fixes for windows?

Windows 10
Brave 1.51.118, Chromium 113.0.5672.126

1 Like

The latest version update fixed the problem for me. I just unlocked Brave in the repo and allowed it to update. It is working as intended.

Thanks for the hard work everyone.

I have the same issue too, its been more than 3 weeks with all my data gone

Windows 10
Brave 1.51.118, Chromium 113.0.5672.126

Just a reminder here that the team is still looking into this. We haven’t forgotten and we are having the devs sort through all the data you’ve provided so far as well as new data that comes in.

Thank you

Yesterday I closed my browser and reopened it, and all of a sudden I was logged out on every website + Brave forgot ALL of my accounts (i had numerous google accounts). And no it’s not due to my settings, i’ve been using brave for over 2 years on my desktop and haven’t changed a thing in the settings and reopend my browser numerous times without a problem. So this is def a bug on the browser’s end.

I can see my accounts and website in here;C:\Users\miash\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Login Data

EDIT;
On another note I think Brave by itself cleaned up my entire browser cache or something, because even my youtube is now set to a different language and country (the website not hte app)

EDIT EDIT;
Most of my bookmarks have also gone missing

UPDATE: After upgrading to Brave Version 1.52.117 Chromium: 114.0.5735.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) my password issue remains resolved (as it was with version 1.51.118). I mention this in case others still having problems with 1.51.118 might want to give 1.52.117 a try.

opensuse:tumbleweed:20230529

1 Like

Still nothing for me. All passwords still gone.

v1.52.119* (Windows Only) (Jun 2, 2023)