Not Seeing Any Ads for BAT Tokens

I downloaded the browser a few days ago and that’s all I’ve been using. I have my Brave Rewards turned on as well as Ads right underneath it. I haven’t gotten a single ad yet though in order for me to earn any BAT tokens. I have the Ads set to “5 ads per hour”, my Focus Assist is turned off, and my Notifications & Actions under my Windows Settings is turned on as well.

Browser: Brave Version 0.63.55 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am not sure if it’s because there aren’t many ads being pushed out yet, or if that’s even a thing, but I see that other people that aren’t having this issue.

Brave

Could you please provide the Geo details for your IP (not the IP address itself)?

@sriram Let me know if this is what you’re looking for:

@sriram Any updates on this? I’m still not getting any ad notifications.

Hi @Buhnanah. Sorry for the delayed reply. Could you share the system region settings? Also if you can launch the browser via command prompt with the following command and use the browser for a bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application>brave.exe --enable-logging --log-level=2 --vmodule=brave_ads=3 --rewards=staging=false --brave-ads-production

Running the above command via command prompt should create a chrome_debug.log file inside
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data.

Close the browser and open the log file and search for Notification not made text and let us know what reason it shows.

@sriram No problem! Here’s the region settings:

I opened a browser with CMD prompt and this is what the debug file shows:

[18224:1500:0514/131213.206:ERROR:cache_util_win.cc(21)] Unable to move the cache: 0
[18224:1500:0514/131213.206:ERROR:cache_util.cc(141)] Unable to move cache folder C:\Users\buhna\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\ShaderCache\GPUCache to C:\Users\buhna\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\ShaderCache\old_GPUCache_000
[18224:1500:0514/131213.207:ERROR:disk_cache.cc(185)] Unable to create cache
[18224:1500:0514/131213.207:ERROR:shader_disk_cache.cc(623)] Shader Cache Creation failed: -2

I couldn’t find the Notification not made though, so maybe I’ll have to try that again?

Edit: Actually I think it’s because I opened it up via CMD while I still had a session open, so I think it didn’t work properly. I’ll try it again later with a fresh new webpage once I’m back tonight.

@Buhnanah You can ignore the console logs in command prompt. You will not see any message on command prompt.

You can open the profile folder by typing %userprofile%\Appdata\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\ in Explorer and open the chrome_debug.log file.

Could you also check the format as below

1 Like

@sriram Alright, here’s the other Region format you requested:

And here’s what it says for all the Notification not made in the chrome_debug.log file:

[6616:8500:0515/112031.375:INFO:ads_impl.cc(613)] Notification not made: Media playing in browser

Let me know if you’d like for me to post the entire debug file.

That’s perfect. So like the log says if you have a media playing like YouTube or Twitch in a background tab it doesn’t show ad notifications. This is a known limitation. We have an issue logged to fix this to only block on active tab

So if you stop playing media (for now) then you should be able to see ads.

@sriram Gotcha, so basically if I have YouTube open on a tab, I won’t see any ads popping up? Or only if the video is playing on YouTube?

That is correct. Glad we could narrow down the issue. Once the issue is fixed you should be able to see ads irrespective of video playing in background tabs.

Closing the thread for now. Please open a new thread if you face any other issue.