"Not secure" or "Dangerous"?

Hello. This says “Not secure” though it’s in red and has the “Dangerous” icon. Which is it?

@CloudandBanner please edit your post and provide the requisite info.

Thanks

Thank you for correcting me (I was unaware of this guideline - makes sense!). See below.

Description of the issue:
I have only seen this once on this site.

Having just looked at your icons/warnings for web browsing safety, I noticed that this URL above was mixing the wording from one with the graphics from another. I am referring specifically to the language in the URL bar which reads “Not secure” which should have a yellow circle with an exclamation point. However, in this URL “Not secure” is accompanied by a red circle with an X. So it is communicating two different messages. Have these been revised? Is this broken? I am uncertain of the true saftey/threat of this site (which btw is non-transactional).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Copy paste the above URL into a web browser. Look at URL bar.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Already attached.

Expected result:
Explained above. I am expecting to either see yellow Not Secure, or Red dangerous messaging and icons.

Reproduces how often:
Every time I come to this page it is there. Seems permanent. Refreshing does nothing.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.65.121 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Not sure what this means.

Additional Information:
I have never seen anything other than a gray locked padlock (implying secure) on all other websites. So I have never seen a yellow Not Secure, a Red dangerous, or a Red Not secure (or any other combo).

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Scott

1 Like

First, can you try to update to the latest version 0.66.99 and see if it’s still an issue, @CloudandBanner?

If you click on the symbol and then on “Learn more” you get to this explanation.
It looks like there are two levels for this symbol and one of them is “Not secure”.

I’m not a web expert so I can’t determine if that makes sense or not though.

Hi eljuno,

I have downloaded the latest.
Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The URL in the original message still shows the mixed messaging. (hi Medjan, yes I am aware of that link. That is what I referenced in my original post, pointing out that Not Secure is yellow and Dangerous is Red).

This could be very insignificant, I do not know. I just want to be clear in my understanding and something seems off here. Not sure if it’s unique to this URL or not.

Thanks

Not Secure does not have to be yellow though. As pointed out on that website, the red warning also has a level called Not Secure. So if anything this is a bad naming convention (although “Not Secure” is not displayed next to the yellow icon)
Google uses those same distinctions.
Maybe the browser shows a red Not Secure if in addition to an insecure connection (without https) the website tries to load some suspicious JavaScript (which the website you linked does try)

1 Like

Ok, sounds like I shall just ignore it and view it as an edge case. Thank you.

2 Likes