Not retaining YouTube settings

On YouTube I use the dark theme, disabled autoplay, and theatre mode. Theater mode is always maintained, however at random times dark mode is disabled and autoplay will be enabled (both occur at the same time). I’m not closing Brave between changing my settings and them reverting back to default. Current shield settings are: Show Brave ads, Allow all cookies, Block 3rd party fingerprinting. While this isn’t enough to make me go back to Safari or Firefox, it’s quite annoying to have to constantly change my settings back.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Turn on Dark Theme and disable autoplay
  2. Browse YouTube normally
  3. Dark theme disabled and autoplay enabled randomly

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:
Multiple times throughout the day, no specific duration or causality

Brave Version(about:brave):

Brave 0.25.2
V8 6.9.427.23
rev 8ea2a9c
Muon 8.1.8
OS Release 18.0.0
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform macOS
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 69.0.3497.100

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yes

Additional Information:

Hi @thatfarang!
This was a fairly intermittent issue on our Muon (v0.25.2) build of Brave. I found this similar report but would have to do further digging to find the others:

However, the first thing I would do would be to update to the latest release.
You are using the Muon Brave build and we have since deprecated Brave Muon in favor of this:

https://brave.com/download

I highly recommend you install the new build and enjoy a much better browsing experience.
It runs in parallel with the Muon version you have installed now, so you don’t have to uninstall or overwrite anything and you can even import data from your previous Brave install into the new build.

If you decide you’d like to stick with the version you’re using now and want to resolve the problem let me know and I’d be happy to assist you.

Thanks for the reply and the recommendation. I’ll give the new one a try to see if the problem persists. If it does then I’ll reply to this same thread with any additional information that may be useful.

1 Like

My pleasure, please do!

It’s going to take a while before I’m able to tell if the original problem continues, but a couple things I immediately notice with the new version:

When going to YouTube with ads blocked there’s now a large blank space at the top where the ad should be. Not a big deal, but definitely a difference between the versions.

I’m also now seeing indicators on the video timeline that show where the ads are supposed to appear. Given that the blocker is on I obviously don’t see the ads, but it’s interesting to see what videos are monetized and how many ads they’ve chosen to display. I actually like this part.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.