Not getting rewards for watching commercials after moving to another country

Hello,

I have an issue as described in the topic. I have recently moved to another country and I stopped receiving BAT tokens for watching commercials (for almost 3weeks now). I remember back in 2021 I had the same issue and I couldn’t get it fixed until I went back to the original country.
Any idea how to fix it? I’m changing countries fairly regularly and sometimes for extended periods of time.

Thanks for help!

I guess its because you chose the country you were in, earlier, in the select region prompt in brave rewards. I guess, you will have to reset the Brave rewards and select your current region in the select region prompt. @Saoiray do you have any better ideas ?

Well, I imagine a lot of people travel and change countries regularly, resetting and changing the settings every time doesn’t seem very convenient, I have 2years worth of rewards there.
Also I have just realized vBAT is going away and wanted to created a custodial account, but for some reason when trying to connect it says both Uphold and Gemini are not available in my country, despite my country being listed as available under Uphold…

Yes. I understand. That is why I have asked @Saoiray to suggest if there’s something that can be done.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter what Uphold allows in terms of having accounts. What matters is which countries they are permitting linked for Brave Rewards. You can check the list at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/6539887971469

I’m assuming just language difference, but do you mean ad notifications? Just wanting to get clarification here because Brave doesn’t have any commercials to watch.

This is still a gray area for now. They serve ads based on your IP address but also look at other data on where you’re at. If constantly in other country then is a chance won’t get paid for ads and/or could eventually get flagged. This is especially the case if it believes you’re trying to bypass regional ad restrictions.

Ok, so I think you answered the one question/issue yourself. After the update to 1.48 you’ll not be able to earn BAT unless you’re connected to a custodial partner, such as Uphold or Gemini.

Does it say this when you attempt to sign in or are you seeing it beforehand and unable to even click on Gemini/Uphold?

Thanks for the answer Saoiray.

Doesn’t matter what Uphold allows in terms of having accounts. What matters is which countries they are permitting linked for Brave Rewards. You can check the list at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/6539887971469

Yes, my current country (Poland) is on the list. I am a Polish resident, however, I have started using Brave while living in Taiwan, which is not on the list.

Does it say this when you attempt to sign in or are you seeing it beforehand and unable to even click on Gemini/Uphold?

When I go to the rewards tab in Brave and click connect account I am unable to click either of the choices (Gemini/Uphold) as it says they are not available in my country.

I’m assuming just language difference, but do you mean ad notifications? Just wanting to get clarification here because Brave doesn’t have any commercials to watch.

Yes, sorry, by commercials I just meant ad notifications. I do still receive them, but get no reward.

This is still a gray area for now. They serve ads based on your IP address but also look at other data on where you’re at. If constantly in other country then is a chance won’t get paid for ads and/or could eventually get flagged. This is especially the case if it believes you’re trying to bypass regional ad restrictions.

I understand some people might try to cheat the system, but I’m sure a lot of people travel and change countries quite frequently, flagging everyone doesn’t sound very sustainable? What should I do to get it working then? I’m going to stay here for a few months, before moving again.

Ok, so I think you answered the one question/issue yourself. After the update to 1.48 you’ll not be able to earn BAT unless you’re connected to a custodial partner, such as Uphold or Gemini.

From the information I found, people should still receive rewards till the end of February, but I’m not receiving any credits since around 26th of January when I moved.

I’m not 100% certain on this, but I believe this is appearing to you based on your OS Locale. I’m not sure which OS you’re using, but can you check which country you have your Locale set to?

On Android, this is in your language settings. For example, Español (Estados Unidos) would be Spanish (United States). It would say Spanish for language and United States for Locale/region.

On Windows, this is in Region settings. It looks at both your Country and your Regional format. Such as you see in screenshot below, where person had Belarus but Brave was seeing them in Russia because they used Russian (Russia) format.

So might be something you need to check on, just to make sure your system shows you in Poland. If it was set because of IP address, then one would think it would be fine because it would be seeing you in Poland.

Also, just to clarify, when you had to choose a country for Rewards, did you choose Poland or did you choose Taiwan? (this occurred a few months ago in one of the updates, where it made us choose a country)

I might have more to say about on this one. Especially if it’s an answer to my prior question about which country you chose for Rewards. Because if you chose Taiwan, had your Locale to Taiwan, but then was in Poland it’s possible this wouldn’t have paid you for ads because it would have you for Taiwan but would have been showing you Poland ads. I’m not sure if this is still the case, but in the past it wouldn’t pay if your IP address and Locale did not match.

@noispaxen if you were ever connected to Gemini on this profile earlier, this might help

1 Like

Thank you, it allowed me to click, unfortunately I get this error:

Does it mean I won’t be able to ever withdraw my rewards? My Uphold account country is set to Poland, so I suppose my Brave Rewards are linked to Taiwan…

So might be something you need to check on, just to make sure your system shows you in Poland. If it was set because of IP address, then one would think it would be fine because it would be seeing you in Poland.
Also, just to clarify, when you had to choose a country for Rewards, did you choose Poland or did you choose Taiwan? (this occurred a few months ago in one of the updates, where it made us choose a country)

My region in Windows was set to Taiwan, while regional format was set to Poland. I’ve changed both to Poland now, but didn’t seem to affect Brave.
I honestly don’t remember choosing a country for Rewards, not sure what have I chosen :frowning:

You could go to brave://rewards-internals and in general info tab check region.

Yeah it is set to Taiwan. Since Taiwan is not eligible for linking (despite Uphold opening accounts for Taiwanese citizens) I guess I won’t be able to withdraw the rewards?

Yes. You can reset and select Poland. Only do if your id for KYC was polish

But I’ve been using brave for 2years and have 60BAT there, kind of sucks to have to reset it >_< I guess I’ll just donate to some creators I like.

Oh lol. Yea, I guess. At the moment you can’t do nothing about it if can’t connect to Uphold.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.