Not being able to add new site to favorites

Description of the issue:
add favorite site pop up dissapearing, not being able to enter the website as it is stuck on the website name and clicking anywhere makes the pop up dissapear

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Have brave browser beta and have the favorites on the new tab pages filled up
  2. try to add a new site to favorites

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.40.75 chromium 102.0.5005.61 official beta arm64
Additional Information:

hi there, the issue lies not with the bookmarks, it is the brave specific ‘top sites’ thingy you can configure when opening a new tab, using the customise button on the new tab page you can choose to show top sites and you are able to add them there. you can choose to show frequently visited sites too but my issue is about the top sites. Thanks already!!

1 Like

@zwinko Can you provide additional information? Listed below. Also, catchall actions which may or may not work is to clear history/cache for all time on the Advanced tab at brave://settings/clearBrowserData. You can try that.

1. How many favorites do you have created? I think the limit is still 12 at this time. See the Brave GitHub issue report still open below.
  1. Can you provide screenshots or a screen recording of the behaviour? ( Useful Screenshot and Screen Recording tools to capture on-screen behavior)
  2. My Beta version is 1.40.91. Can you update to the latest version and see if the problem persists? Make sure your macOS is updated also. And… might want to check Release and Nightly and see if the issue is persistent there too if updating doesn’t work!

Please post an update with the additional information. It will help support staff troubleshoot your issue.

@Go-go_duck Top sites can be curated using the Customize Dashboard Customize | Top Sites | Favorites. It was implemented several releases ago. Very nice feature. I use it. The only problem is the icons are too large. I go into devtools and change but the change is not persistent once I exit browser… know anything about devtools and can help? :grin:

Hi

The maximum number of sites in “frequently visited sites” is 6. The list is automatic and you can’t add drectly a site to this list. However, the workaround is to open your preferred site and click repeatedly F5 until it swaps one of the 6 sites already in the list.
Better use the “Favourites” with a maximum of 12 sites.

Hi :slightly_smiling_face: I currently have 11 sites in curated favorites on win10 in Brave Release (stable) version. I would think Beta would have at least that. Just to test if can have more than 12, I’ll try and go add a couple just to see. Is the limit of 6 specific to macOS? I would think “desktop” versions would be the same no matter what flavor (linux, windows, macOS, whatever).

Update: Yes, 12 is the max I could add on Brave Release on win 10. The “add” / + sign option was not available after the 12th add.

Edit: Just so we are talking about the same thing, posted an image of “curated top sites”. I think this is what the OP is talking about. Please let me know if I misunderstood and you are talking about the “frequently visited” top sites. :smiley:

Edit again: lol y’all are gonna get very tired of my edits… anyway, I didn’t read correctly…

Yes, 12 for curated top sites. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

OK, starting new post. I am unable to add a site manually in Release or Beta when I have “Frequently Visited” enabled in Top Sites. To my way of thinking, if the option is available, I should be able to use. So, it does appear OP was talking about “Frequently Visited” and not “Favorites”. Please confirm and sorry for the confusion I introduced in the topic!

1. In Release, I can enter the information but when I click save it does not save the site.
  2. In Beta, if I click on the field, it closes the pop-up. I can just start typing and the information is entered in the first field, but if I click on the next field, the pop-up closes. I can use the tab key to cycle through the fields/buttons, enter information in fields, and then hit the enter key on save, but nothing is saved. I think this is what the OP is experiencing. Also, I only have one site listed, and it is the home tab, no matter how often I cycle through other websites.

Anyone have more information or suggestions to test?

I thought it was fixed in 1.37.109. Guess not. :slightly_frowning_face: Brave GitHub issue report:

• Fixed DevTools setting changes not persisting once Brave is closed. (#20491)

Since I am just not motivated at this time to really study and learn devtools, I thought it was just something I wasn’t doing right. Every time I turn around I keep running into the “I need to learn devtools” wall. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and stop being lazy and just learn at least the basics of devtools. lol

Now back to Top Sites issue… Top Sites are not being displayed at all on the NTP in Nightly build even though I have the feature enabled. Weird. Couldn’t find any open issue reports on Brave GitHub either.

Tagging @Mattches to see if can provide additional information. Are we overlooking anything?

Also, I would like to know if this issue is something that should be reported on GitHub or should it be posted as feedback in the Beta and Nightly categories?

Pre-Release Builds Category

Post feedback and report bugs for Brave Nightly, Developer and Beta builds only.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.