Not able to play streaming music (.pls .m3u)

Version 0.67.123 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Linux Ubuntu 18.04 with all updates

Streaming music links are given a download dialog box. I have been using mozilla-based browsers for years and I’m always asked what I want to use to open the link. Right-clicking on the link gives me no “open with” options.

I have searched under “streaming music” in this forum and found only one relevant link from 2017 that did not help me.

Is there something I need to change in the settings to allow these links to be opened by other applications? Browsing the web without music is not an option :frowning: TIA.

@kimbriggsdotcom,
Thanks for reaching out to us – nobody should be without music!
Can you tell me what sites you use to stream music that behave in this way so that I can test on my end?

Thank you for your prompt response. The effect, or “no effect” is the same on any site I have tried.
Here are a couple:
somafm.com (.pls links)
lounge-radio.com (.m3u links)

I just checked and I CAN stream music with “embedded” player on tunein.com

@kimbriggsdotcom,

Perhaps I’m confused; are you saying that the issue is that, when you attempt to stream music from these sites, instead of streaming, Brave instead tries to download the file (.pls or .m3u)? Or, is the request to download a file expected and instead the issue is that Brave doesn’t provide an option to open that file with an associated app?

When testing somafm – I’m able to stream music without issue here:
somafm

I realize you can’t hear it but the music is playing and more importantly I wasn’t asked to download anything.

Is there a specific part of the site or song/radio/etc that I should use to test this? Additionally, can you tell me what your Shields settings are set to for the site?

As for lounge-radio (.m3u) – here I’m asked to download the .m3u file, which I believe is to be expected. Can you confirm or restate the issue again so I can make sure we’re on the same page?

You are correct to begin with. Instead of using their embedded player (which I stated worked on other sites), try clicking on a single stream. The behavior for me is what you got at lounge-radio.com. If the browser cannot play these streams natively, then it should be asking for an app to handle them. Not download the files. Remember shoutcast.com, or maybe you are all too young…

This is the way it’s been in Firefox for as long as I can remember. HTH

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.