NOAA looped radar station data "Plugin Not Supported"

Description of the issue:
The URL below displays the “enhanced version” of the current, “Composite” data from the Tampa Bay Area weather radar station as a static image. Clicking “Loop” to the right of “Composite” should display an animation of recent data to show the weather moving. Instead it displays “Plugin Not Supported”. Clicking the Lock icon to the left of the URL and selecting Flash Allow didn’t fix it so I don’t know what Plugin it’s looking for.

I tried selecting different locations in the “City, St” box above the image, different radar stations in the “Adjacent Stations” matrix, and different “Short Range” and “Long Range” data sets. The Loop display shows “Plugin Not Supported” for all of them.

The selections under “U.S. Views” show data from multiple stations stitched together to cover a region. Looped displays work correcting for these displays. I don’t know what’s different between the looped displays for single and multiple stations.

The “Go To:” selection above the radar image toggles between “enhanced” and “standard” views. The looped views work correctly in the Standard version. I don’t know what the difference is.

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=tbw&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
No

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
No.

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
I haven’t installed Chrome.

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.1.21 Chromium: 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Tested the flash plugin here, https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/gif/radar.gif looks fine? Disabling/Enabing flash allowed the flash map to work.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Clicking the Lock icon and Allowing Flash on the site didn’t change anything. However I noticed your browser displayed “Adobe Flash Player is blocked”. Mine just said “This plugin is not supported” as though it didn’t recognize the plugin at all. Looping on the NOAA site works OK in Safari so I wondered why Brave couldn’t see the Flash plugin. Long story short: Safari uses the NPAPI (older) version of Flash so OSX installs it automatically. Chrome requires the PPAPI (newer) version but OSX does NOT install it automatically. It can be installed on the System Preferences -> Flash -> Updates tab. After that, Flash works in both Brave and Safari do I guess having both versions installed doesn’t do any harm.

(Actually, I downloaded Flash from Adobe’s web site after following a long chain of links starting from “Learn more about configuring Flash Player with Chromium based browsers” at the bottom of the System Preferences -> Flash -> tabs. I think installing it directly from the Flash -> Updates tab would do the same thing. I don’t know why Apple doesn’t just say that.)

My installations of OSX and Brave are the latest production versions with no revisions so I’m surprised other people haven’t seen this problem and talked about it in the Forum. I haven’t been using Brave very long. I wonder whether something’s changed in OSX or Brave recently?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.