No sound on selected videos or other multimedia from the web

Thanks. Yes I have I tried most if not all of the settings in different states. i,e on/off . Restarting the browser each time and it made no difference. Also it is not just videos from YouTube. For example there are videos from users on Twitter where some work and some do not.

I do get that same message you get when I visit the link you posted.

I wonder if it has something to do with CODECS???

This topic has been discussed here before and has never reached a resolution. My take is that this occurred when I upgraded to the current version. Video sound always worked before that in the older version.

I really believe there is something in the code that is causing this to happen.

For one video to work from the same site and same user (as in the examples I posted) and the fact that I have sound on system files on the PC to me indicates it’s on the Brave end.

This should not have anything to do with codecs, but if you wanted to try, I have the codec package installed on this page https://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm

Have you tried to uninstall the browser, remove everything associated with it from the system and reinstall and start with a new user profile? It’s worth doing especially when everything worked on the old version

Have uninstalled the Browser and that did not change anything.

Thanks

Yes, but in addition to uninstalling, it could be helpful to delete this directory manually:
C:\Users\ you_login \AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data

And then clean installation.

OK, do I lose bookmarks and other items if I do?

Most likely yes. Bookmarks can be exported.

@ChrisWS I’ve just read this post just now. If you’re using Windows, you probably muted the Brave Browser, possibly by accident.

Open the Brave Browser, play anything on YouTube, then right click on speaker on Task Bar then open Volume Mixer and check if Brave Browser is muted. It should look something like this.

Capture_1 Capture_2

No because if you read early posts only some videos have no sound and all other sound on the PC is fine, i.e sound is not muted in any application. Thanks
From earlier post:

1. Does not happen on all sites or even different videos within the same site. For example here are two videos where sound does not work on one and works on the other (from same user)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s41_-qsmA7s (sound DOES NOT work on Brave but does work on other browsers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqUrzzHszI (sound DOES work on this one)

@ChrisWS,
When you go to un/reinstall, if you want to keep your data, first make a safe copy of the C:\Users\ [YourUserName]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default directory. Then, when you have a fresh installation, just copy/paste/replace that directory created in the new installation with the saved copy you have. So:

1. Make safe copy of browsing profile (C:\Users\ [YourUserName]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default)
  2. Uninstall the browser – ensure you elect to delete any associated browsing data at the Windows uninstall prompt.
  3. Once done, install Brave again.
  4. Once installed, make sure all Brave windows/processes are closed. Return to C:\Users\ [YourUserName]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default and replace this folder with the saved copy you made in step 1.
1 Like

That said, @ChrisWS (and anyone else with this issue), can you try the solution that worked for this user here and see if it resolves the issue for you as well?

I will try this next. Thanks.

I have never had Chrome on my PC. I can download the browser and see if that works… Can I ask what the rationale is for this option? The reason I ask is that I have tried it several different browsers: Opera, IE, Sea Monkey etc and there is no issue with sound in those browsers.

Thanks

@ChrisWS,
The rationale is to eliminate possible causes. Since both Brave and Chrome run on Chromium, if you were able to hear audio on Chrome but not Brave, for example, it would likely point to an issue with Brave itself.

Ideally the solution in the above linked thread would eliminate the need to download anything.

:point_up_2: Have you tried this solution yet?

I did try that, here is my earlier response to someone on 2-14

“Thanks for the info. I did go into the CP and the box was already unchecked. So I checked it and restarted the browser and still no sound from selected videos. I then unchecked and restarted and again no sound from selected video:”

Looks like I am at downloading the Chrome Browser.

BTW what is Chromium? You said Both Brave and Chrome run on it.

Thanks

@ChrisWS,
Can I see a screenshot of what you see when you go to windows settings --> sound --> advanced sound options --> app volume and device preferences?

Yes, here you go

yui

@ChrisWS,
At this juncture, I think that the issue is data related rather than Brave specific (or system). Can you try clearing your cache/browsing data for all time (Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data) and relaunch the browser?

I do that all the time and nothing changes. This only occurs on this browser–all other browsers I have tried, have worked

Partial list of some I have tried.

Opera
IE
Firefox
SeaMonkey
Avant
Safari

All of these browsers, play all the videos (with sound) that I posted earlier. Recall that it is a sound problem as the video portion is fine.
They have always worked as did the Brave Browser until I upgraded to the newest version. Empirical evidence tell me it’s a problem with the Brave browser.

Another poster above reported the same problem “Hah! Just me - and I have the exact same issue,”

@ChrisWS,
I understand your frustration, but I’m not entirely sure where to go from here. The last test/check I have for you is one I already suggested, which is to download our Beta build and see if you get the same results – I’m guessing you don’t and the sound works just fine.
This would tell us a lot of information about what’s causing the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.