No BAT for background ads from last 3-4 days

I have’t been getting as much BAT for ads on my mobile device lately, even though i had been using it heavily, then the ads just stopped for several days. Then it was just heart stopping to see all the micro-fractions of BATs i earned just reduce to zero while ad count of the month was still high up there. Yes, the little amount of “extra” privacy seems nice, but besides my attention, my time and effort to actually view an ad also has a price and has worth to me. So the BATs are not purely free - i actually made an effort to earn it by using the browser and clicking/tapping on the ads of my own volition. But alas, i never knew a poor person can still be robbed in ways that didn’t seem possible :frowning:
I can’t believe how well disguised this scam is. As usual - it was always too good to be honestly true. This browser is not “fixed” whenever a techie replies about the wallet-error being corrected. It’s consistency of flaws is in the nature (or necessity) of it’s design - acting like something technical went wrong, and then working again as though nothing happened, making you start from scratch at zero earnings again mid-month, – really seems to me this is the PERFECT design for a deceptive automated mechanism that entices the user for usage in exchange for a pretend-passive income (or at least lowering the payout as much as possible – you know, like those digitally monitored gambling machines/games).
From all the forums I’ve been reading up on for the past years, it seems that the problems are re-occurring over and over again, while tech support ever so quickly just replies to reinstall the browser again, or change the frequency settings, or that it’s now all “fixed”. (it’s that I’ve never seen tech support work so quickly anywhere… ever! – just saying :wink: )
But trying to figure this out has left me with many more questions. Hard to trace data errors from my end since “earnings” are not the same as “balance”. Besides something like gas fees, i guess there could be “another reason” why you actually get paid once a month while it seems Bravo could just instantly reward you. Not sure if the earned currency is from bravo’s ad revenue, rather than crypto-creation – so some questions there too i guess.
Still doing my homework on this. I’ll return once i get more insight on why or what’s going on. But if history maintains it’s virtue, it doesn’t look good for now.

I don’t want to change the Windows interface language to mine (Italian) .

Please note that in the Windows settings, region is correctly set as ‘Italian’ as so is the timezone; in fact, when I install a new program, first language that is suggested to me is always Italian, since any query to the OS returns that I am indeed an Italian user.

I tried to change only the ‘Apps and display language’ to Italian but now new tab ads have stopped completely. I reversed back to english and still new tab ads are not appearing.

You will have to change Region format on Windows Settings >> Region. You may not have to change it to Italian. This might work with a language close to your region for eg. English (Germany) or (Switzerland) etc. Try and see what works. Brave will show NTP SI as given on Region format and you can verify it here- brave://rewards-internals/>>Ad diagnostics>>Locale.

After changing Region format relaunch Brave and wait for ~5 minutes for Ad catalog to be loaded and then you will be able to see NTP SI. Also keep Windows display language as ‘Italian’ while testing. When you see a NTP SI that paid, you can switch display language to one that matches Region Format.

Do post an update.

Thanks for the support. Region was already set to Italy. I always use this setting when I install Windows. As for regional format, I usually pick English (world). This combination usually work for having apps recognize that I’m from Italy, use European data, number and currency format but keep the interface in English.

What is worrying for me is that now, on the page, brave://rewards-internals/ the ad-diagnostics say: “Ads not initialised, please refresh the page”. Nothing happens after refreshing the page. I’ve tried to close the program, restart the PC, etc… but now ads appears to be completely disabled.

In my mac, the region is correct. However, I am still not getting any BATs for the background ads.
In brave://rewards-internals/, the locale is shown as en-GB, which is actually the keyboard layout and not taken from the region. Not sure, if this is the reason. But not sure this is the reason as I was getting the BATs regularly until 4 days ago.

@MSxyz My Bad. I should’ve asked you to try this in a new profile. You can do that now. This won’t affect data on your current profile and you can always delete the new profile later. When you find a combination of settings which reward you for viewing NTP SI, you can implement that in your current profile. Also what is your locale in brave://rewards-internals/? Are Ads toggled off here- brave://rewards/? Do you see a wallet payment id (don’t post it) on brave://rewards-internals/?

@y2k Yes. You were getting Ads from Great Britain. So when campaign in your region matched that of en-GB you were rewarded BATs. And when you are not receiving BATs, you are still viewing NTP SI from en-GB and not from- https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/

If you can find a locale (by changing Language in Android, Region Format in Windows, and As per @y2k Keyboard layout in MacOS) that exactly matches your Device Region, you will only see NTP SI from https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/ and rewarded BAT all the time.

In some regions, it is difficult to find a locale (as shown in brave://rewards-internals/ >> Ad diagnostics) that exactly matches your Device Region. You can try to keep your locale as close as possible to your Device Region to get rewarded BATs most of the time. Brave is aware of this issue and they are working on it-

PS: All of this is for New Tab Page Sponsored Images that appear on every 4th new tab page. Ad notifications exactly follow the Device Region.

1 Like

Will I face any kind of problem if I will change my language like to en-US . Will I get flagged or something for this. I’m not receiving rewards for viewing the bg ads in my own region.

@numaankhan07 Which device are you on? What is your device region in system settings? What is your locale on brave://rewards-internals/ >> Ad diagnostics.

Changing language should not create a problem. Don’t change your device region, keep it where you belong. And keep your language either to one that matches your region or is close to your region, country-wise.

Do you see any error in brave://rewards-internals/ >> Logs >> Refresh? Don’t post your logs you can just mention.

I’m using an android device with OS android 11.
I kept the region same and I changed the language in device settings from en-IN to
en-US
I checked the logs and they are same as previous ones.

@Aman_M Thanks for the hints. I did a bit of checking in the Ad diagnostics. It seems like it is showing the limits exceeded. However, my BATs are same from last few days, so not sure how it can exceed the cap. I guess that the day may be calculated based on UTC. So this is the first access for me today, so it cant be exceeding the daily cap.

The background ads are from: “Brave Wallet” with 2 unique ones.
Here are the logs:

campaignId _______ has exceeded the dailyCap frequency cap
[VERBOSE2:exclusion_rules_base.cc(123)] creativeSetId ________ has exceeded the totalMax frequency cap
[VERBOSE2:exclusion_rules_base.cc(123)] campaignId ________ has exceeded the dailyCap frequency cap
[VERBOSE2:exclusion_rules_base.cc(123)] creativeSetId _______ has exceeded the totalMax frequency cap

Also, the pop-up ads are also not coming many from last 2-3 days. For example, whole of yesterday, I got just 1 ad. On Friday, got total of 5 ads for the entire day. And on Thursday, just 1 ad again.
Not sure if brave is not getting any ads from the customers or is there any other issue.

@Aman_M or @steeven Could you please help ?

I finally solved by keeping the Region to “Italy” and switching Regional Format to “English (Malta)”. This seems to work as Malta is a small sovereign nation very close to Italy and where both English and Italian are spoken.

1 Like

@MSxyz It didnt work for me at first.
Then I deleted all the keyboard layouts and added a new one with just “English” without any locale again. It worked now! I am getting the BATs for background ads. Thanks!

So I believe that some change in the Brave browser caused this issue. Because, I haven’t changed this settings. May be 8-10 months ago when I reset the laptop. Anyway, good that it started to work. Hopefully, this will also help in getting the normal pop-up ads as usual, as I am seeing only 2-3 ads for the entire day from last 1 week.

1 Like

Same!!! I’ve been saying there’s something wrong EVERYONE can’t have exceeded the cap and the month JUST started it’s crazy. Please fix the problem ASAP

1 Like

@MSxyz Glad it worked out for you. And shout-out to the small sovereign state for speaking English, right? :wink:

@y2k Good to know. When you changed your keyboard layout to just “English”, what does it say on brave://rewards-internals/ >> Ad diagnostics >> Locale? I’m just curious. Is this same as your Device Region?

Also the verbose logs mentioned by @y2k are normal because each Ad campaign has daily/weekely/monthly/Max frequency caps. You can check here- https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/v2/. This is not a problem.

@numaankhan07 What is your device region?

I would add that this criterion for supporting NTP SI from different regions can be very tricky for users who set their Device Language very different than their native Region. Brave has been working on it for quite some time now- https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/4174

However, in most cases there are some combinations of settings that work but these may not work all the time. Some progress here is needed. Link to original post- User Feedback - Recommendation - Don't Make Computer Language Synonymous with Region

@Aman_M Yes, It now shows the correct region.

Regarding the daily cap, what i said was that the error should not have come since that was the first usage today, and it can’t be reaching the max cap. Also, I doubt it even reaches a weekly cap since none of the sponsored image ads were counted to the BATs for last 5 days atleast. BUt anyway, it is seems to be working.

@Aman_M Could you please let me know if there is any reduction of ads in Germany. I used to get 4/5 ads on an average per hour before, but since Jan the numbers are reducing. And, getting just 2-3 ads per entire day from last week (even with min 10 hours of usage per day).

@y2k Those caps exist for NTP SI and Ad notifications both.

It’s possible. But only you can tell, and you will have to periodically monitor- https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/v2/. Ads will reduce if you hit those limits. I’m also getting few ads these days, it’s normal. And not that Brave is working against some countries. When new capaign comes or old campaigns are updated, you are likely to get more ads then.

Cheers!

@Aman_M Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s india. I changed my language back to en-IN and I think it worked

1 Like