Nightly version rewards issue

I still think we miss something… even after an official announce, things don’t fit. Yeah, ads vary by country, OS, we know it. Now maybe even by type of Brave installed, ok, since Nightly it’s the most experimental release, features will appear there, before come in Beta and then in Stable. But I can’t earn rewards by an old ad campaign, or an expired one, system doesn’t allow me; even with an outdated version I still receive token only from the ads active today, and when NTP of a campaign are maxed out every browser stop showing them, proving the entire reward feature is syncronized. So my entire point is, why an old version let me earn?

First, I have no clue. I am not tech savvy, I do not know programming, or anything even remotely technical about hardware/software development. I am just going to provide my uneducated thoughts. Probably totally wrong, but going to put it out there anyway. :laughing:

The programming implemented for caps is probably not in the older versions (yet) and that is why the older version is working as before. I think Brave will probably do “something” to prevent this workaround at some point. Or else, over time, the older version will not be able to work with Rewards at all.

Just my thoughts. If I misunderstood (very probable lol). Let me know. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of software development and version releases will give their thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not a program development neither, but I like tech things and knowing how they work. I don’t have problem if this behaviour it’s a Brave team decision, just pointing at the fact that we have sent the problem to the help center a couple of weeks ago by now, first they tried to understand it, then tried to fix it, now it’s just as suppose to be.

2 Likes

Browser, irrespective of its version, regularly fetches new Ad-catalog. And this generally happens several times a day.

If you mean new NTP caps then yes, every new feature is applied prospectively not retrospectively.

And in my opinion, new browser-side NTP cap looks a bit harsh, from 20/day to 1/day for one Ad campaign. Especially for NTP Ad campaigns that run for a day and https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/ shows cap at max 10.

If frequency cap, browser-side, is 1/day then practically max cap is 1/day (as almost all NTP campaigns run for a day). Could’ve been made like 10 or 5/day or 1 per 2-3 hour so that max 10 for campaign duration as per sampson site is still honoured. :grin:

I’m assuming max 10 for an NTP campaign (running for a day) on sampson site is agreed by advertiser and Brave for the duration of campaign. So power users can be allowed to reach there. Tagging @tmancey for an opinion.

Not the answer to my question, make me clear: why an old version let me earn what a new one doesn’t if it’s the same catalog? Rewards system shouldn’t be server side handled?

@miho171 Brave Ads are private because their serving is handled by the browser without sending you data to an outside server. For a server to serve an Ad, your personal data must go to the server, processed and then the right ad for you will be served.

But in Brave, your personal data doesn’t leave your device. And browser itself serves the Ad for you. It just fetches some data like what Ads are available, run time, BAT per Ad etc. from Ads-server that’s all.

Wow. I don’t get 20 ads/day combined (NTP, inline, push) much less 20 NTP ads/day! Sheesh. And I thought my BAT rewards were pretty good… guess not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it 1/day or 1/day per campaign or some combination? Anything else involved, like country of origin? :wink: How would you even figure that one out even if you wanted to… I don’t care, so really just throwing other things out there that might impact that number. :laughing:

Really, to be honest, if you are routinely getting 20 NTP ads/day then you are just milking the system in my opinion. However, even saying that 1/day does seem harsh. I wonder what time the “day” restarts?

per other thread, I think that is for push notifications… does catalog viewer conflict with that information?

It still is in stable release albeit, till next update. 4/hour & 20/day for NTP Ads. May be a lot of users were reaching there so Brave had to go against it. But still 1/day looks too restrictive.

It’s actually 24 hrs. So it actually doesn’t matter when day starts.

I meant this (see view limits)-

lol haven’t a clue what that means. Guess I’m going to actually have to go read the topics explaining the catalog viewer… I know a topic where I can go look to put my fingers on those. :wink:

Cool. Thanks for info! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have been told catalog caps will be increased for NTP-SI changes when feature hits release/when we add new inventory.

1 Like

About NTP per day, the catalog says 10 per ad, but usually (mostly always) there are 2 ads in the campaign, so 20 in total.

1 Like

Wrong. It’s per campaign last I was told, not per ad. So in the one that is 2 ads in the campaign with limits of 10 / — / — / 10 that means any of those 2 ads can appear but once you see them 10 times, you’ll not earn from it again. That can be 3 of one and 7 of the other or any order, but 10 total views of any of the ads in that campaign.

Check out Understanding Brave Ads Catalog Viewer

But I am always rewarded for 20 NTP per day, and my regional catalog says 10 / — / — / 10

to be honest 1 ntp/ day is horrible.
at some point brave will give only 0.005 so assume 0.005 to 0.01 bat for ntp. and hardly we get one notification ad. that means 0.01 to 0.02 per day × 30 days = 0.3 to 0.6 bat monthly.

1 bat = 0.5 usd.

so forget reward earning. when this update get pushed in stable version.

better to rethink before pushing out to stable version.

Well, from my experiences it’s as I said. Also know a while back it was explained by someone at Brave. But I don’t have that resource to link back to. I guess it’s something I’ll need to verify with @tmancey, @Mattches, or someone else from Brave later.

I do know right now ads are almost nonexistent.

And when I checked verbose log for my Brave Rewards,

All ad_notification advertisers have been shown, so round robin

So yeah…I’m stuck in a “no ads” situation.

1 Like

Ad campaigns vary by country, and by the operating system. In some countries, there may be fewer ads observed throughout the month based on campaign size, delivery pacing, operating systems, content categories, and that advertisers have selected to run their ads to.

As we continue to generate additional demand for countries where Brave Ads are available, the consistency should improve over time.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m sorry, I had tagged you in on something where I wasn’t fully clear what I was tagging about. We were talking about the Brave Ads catalog that Samson shows, which is https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/

The question is whether the View Limit they show is per campaign or per ad? Of course this came about as we were discussing NTP, as they were discussing limits and where you (@tmancey) wrote to say NTP ads are now frequency capped. Brave nightly no ads - #2 by tmancey

Which not sure if frequency cap is same or different than the View Limit that had already existed?

@Saoiray I can earn 0.2 every day just opening 5 NTP rows, each time 4 ads getting paid (5x4 of 0.01 BAT value), unless campaign ended.

Hi @Saoiray. I am not sure sorry. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.