NHL.com does not play videos for me at all. I've tried everything

Description of the issue:
NHL.com does not play any videos for me. Site says everything has fully loaded in, but the video player never opens (it just shows the background of the site). I have disabled shields, I have tried opening the links in a private window, I’ve tried enabling and disabling Widevine. The only way I can watch videos on NHL.com is to either watch on my mobile browser (Brave works), or to open Chrome (which I would like to uninstall).
How can this issue be reproduced?
The issue is only on my end.

1. Go to NHL.com
  2. Click on Videos
  3. The webpage loads everything except the player.

Expected result:
I go to the website and the video loads and plays.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.27.108 Chromium: 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I’m on Windows 10. Have disabled my VPN, as well as trying other IPs. I’ve also deleted all cookies and cleared my cache and that has not helped in anyway. This issue makes zero sense to why I alone would be experiencing this problem.

@BurnoutBarry,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
So on my end, I’m able to view NHL.com video content without issue on Windows 10, Brave version 1.27.108.

You’re right – it is very strange that you would see this. Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, can you try disabling them and test again to see if the issue is resolved? Additionally, can you go to the site, click Video and then when the video does not appear, open Dev tools and share (screenshot is fine) any output on the Console tab? (Menu --> More tools --> Developer tools --> [Console])?

Thanks for the response, Mattches. I disabled all my extensions. Same issue. Opening the console there are some errors that seem to have something to do with facebook? I don’t use facebook at all though. I have disabled the social buttons that a lot of sites have. Could that be it?

Edit: I tried re-enabling the social media buttons Google and Facebook, same thing.

@BurnoutBarry,
Thank you for the information. Reaching out to some team members now for some additional eyes on the case. In the interim, you could try another test – simply create a new temporary browser profile, visit NHL.com using it and test to see if you get the same results.

@Mattches That DOES work! Also I should have mentioned. I had this problem a few months ago and my buddy who also has Brave told me to try it in a private window and for a while, private browsing did work up until a few weeks ago. Very weird.

1 Like

@BurnoutBarry,
Can you try clearing cache/site data for All time? Seems like there’s some bad data “stuck” somewhere causing the issue. Previously you said you’d tried this but I’m not sure if you had tried clearing all of it.

@Mattches Yeah I just tried it again, still just shows up blank.

1 Like

@BurnoutBarry,
Thank you for testing – super weird behavior. Will keep digging into this and I do appreciate your patience.

@Mattches no worries. At least I have a workaround now where I don’t have to open chrome

Do you have Secure DNS enabled brave://settings/security ? @BurnoutBarry

@fanboynz I do. It’s currently set to “With your current service provider.” Pretty sure this is standard as I haven’t messed with the security tab at all.

Try disabling this and restarting the Browser

@fanboynz Still the same thing. Just a blank space where the player would be.

Hmmm okay.

Clear cookies/cache via brave://settings/clearBrowserData
and Try Private window mode?

@fanboynz Yeah I’ve tried that like 7 times now, still the same.

Does https://hlslive-wsczoominwestus.med.nhl.com/publish-hls/2790069/3500299/game.m3u8 open a dialog box? (btw, don’t open this file)

Can you ping (cmd.exe) ping hlslive-wsczoominwestus.med.nhl.com

@fanboynz it opened a window to download the game.m3u8 file, I did not download it. I was able to get a ping…

Pinging a1898.dscz.akamai.net [23.214.97.50] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.214.97.50: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 23.214.97.50:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 11ms

A bit stumped to be honest, does using Brave beta (in a new profile) help?

Also is the vpn disabled?

@fanboynz yeah not sure what Brave Beta is. @Mattches had me set up a new profile in the top right as a workaround and that’s the only way I can get it to work currently.

Yeah I disable the VPN everytime I try a recommended solution, along with my extensions. I’m somewhat tech savvy and yeah, it’s weird and I’m baffled as to why it would work on my mobile browser (Brave) and not my desktop. And only this site. Youtube, twitch, odysee, any and every other website that has video works completely fine. Very odd indeed.

1 Like

Grab Brave Beta via https://brave.com/download-beta/ with no extensions or changes, test NHL